Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Re: Pancreatic cancer and excessive intake of sugar?

Posted By Thanks for the info on January 28, 1999 at 21:35:49:

In Reply to: Re: Pancreatic cancer and excessive intake of sugar? posted by HFHSM.D.-ym on January 23, 1999 at 23:48:32:

My sister keeps telling me that eating too much sugar can lead to pancreatic cancer.  I don't believe her.  How about diabetes?
Serious question and I think a lot of viewers would be interested.
Dear TomC.,
Contributing factors for the development of pancreatic cancer include: age, gender, exposure to carcinogens (occupational exposure), cigarette smoking and possibly a high fat diet. Patients with longstanding diabetes mellitus or chronic pancreatitis may be predisposed to adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. Neither alcohol nor coffee consumption seem to be a factor. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: pancreatic cancer, risk factors
Thanks for the info on pancreatic cancer.  A doctor recently told me that it appears to be on the rise.  My mother died of it at the age of 62.  She would be 75 if she had lived.  She gave up smoking in 1955 and did not drink but I think she did eat lots of fried foods and butter.  My dad who is a heavy smoker and was a heavy drinker (which caused my mom to worry about him) is still alive at 76.  Go figure!  I've always heard no one knew what caused it.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem