Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Re: What could this be?

Posted By Kathy on April 23, 1999 at 01:06:51
I am a 33 year-old female presently living in Japan. I would say generally I am fit and healthy. For the past 6 years or so I have suffered from diarrhea. I realize that over this time I should have done something about it but as I am in Japan it is quite difficult to get the help I need. This diarrhea happens about 30-60 minutes immediately after eating. The food that causes it varies but generally it occurs after eating out (ie not at home). I have tried all sorts of things to find out what causes it. To me it seems like an allergy, but sometimes I have it after eating one thing and eating the same thing again later is OK.
It occurs in a similar way each time. A low gurgling in my stomach then a quick dash to the toilet. It usually comes out in 2 quick waves and then it's over and I am fine. It ranges from very loose to OK. It is foul smelling and sometimes I think I detect an ammonia smell.
I am asthmatic too but have had few attacks these past years. Sometimes though I get a tight feeling in my chest after this diarrhea (not always)
So where do I look? allergy,disease...?
I know I am  losing vitamins and minerals and as I am wanting to conceive soon I want to get my body sorted out before I do!
I hope you can help me.
Kathy

Posted By Jean on April 27, 1999 at 15:29:28
I am a 51 year old female and when I was in my early 20's, I suffered from what sounds similar to your problem.  I could eat something and have no problem at all and then the next time I ate it, I would have instant terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea.  This usually happened after eating dinner and only seldom after any other meal.  It was usually after eating out and only happened at home when I ate too much dinner or when I ate something with cheese sauce.  I also quit eating ice cream unless I was at home as this brought on the same problem.  Sounds like lactose intolerance, but usually there was no dairy products in what I had for dinner when this would happen.  The cramps were so bad that I often thought I would have to call an ambulance to take me to the hospital.  However, after the diarrhea ended (about 1 hour) I felt fine again.  In my 20's, the doctor said I had irritable bowel symdrome and gave me bentyl with phenabarbytol that I took each day and a little blue pill that I took 1/2 hour before eating dinner.  The blue pill worked wonderful and kept the cramps and diarrhea from occuring.  I only took it when I ate dinner out as I didn't like to take pills if not necessary.  I had this problem for many years until I quit taking birth control pills (at age 42).  The doctor said this could not have had any bearing on my problem, but that is what happened.  I still get the cramps and diarrhea once in awhile and still can't figure out what causes it; however, it isn't very often.  I was recently diagnosed with divertulosis, but I don't think this was the problem I had most of my life.  I don't know what good this information will do you, but perhaps the little blue pill (sorry I can't remember the name) could be of help to you.  A doctor would probably know what it is.  Good luck!

Posted By Kathy on May 10, 1999 at 22:26:17
Thanks for your comments Jean. It is nice to feel that someone understands this thing and has also given up trying to find the cause. I took on what you said about the birth control pill and have been off it since. Guess what? Not a stomach problem to be felt. After doing a bit of maths I figured out that it was about the same time as I started the pill that this thing happened.
These days I am eating out in confidence. So for the first time in years I am now going more than 2 consecutive days without a problem. Now I am counting in weeks.
I still don't see the connection though. Maybe someone else can!
Thanks for taking the time to respond Jean and all the best!
Kathy

Posted By Gen on May 25, 1999 at 12:19:42
Well, glad you found help Kathy with Jean's response to you.. But this won't help me, I've never been on birth control : (  

Posted By Kathy on May 27, 1999 at 02:14:25
Well I spoke too soon Gen! It hasn't gone at all, I just got a respite!Although a strange thing has happened. When I was on the pill, I got this thing nearly every day, now I have it only a couple of days in the month and unfortunately it comes after every meal, breakfast, lunch and dinner at home or out! Ugh! Now I am wondering if it is related to hormones but I can't really see how that could be possible. Basically I have no idea!!!

Posted By Gen on May 28, 1999 at 22:40:37
I have noticed this problem in me at least since I was 21.. so I don't relate it to my age.  I am starting to think I am just extremely sensitive.. I also think MSG is bad.. which is why when eating out it can be worse (for me anyway).  I can go through bouts of time that it is bad and other times when it is not bad...  very difficult to pinpoint..  which leaves me to believe even more it is sensitivity since I also have suffered from depression.. (everything is worse then).  Well, one day we will find out... hopefully.

Posted By Laura on August 06, 1999 at 10:57:16
Sounds like classic Irritable Bowel Syndrome to me.  Check out some alternative Health publicatons like www.alternativemedicine.com and search for that name.  Have doc rule out all organic problems and treat holistically.  Also this has a BIG connection to emotions and stress so you will have to sort that out too.  Good Luck
PS beware of multi-level products and information on the web...claiming miracle cures stick to the information sites only

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem