Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Referred pain to left shoulder after eating. Has cancer w/ mets.

I hope you might be able to give us some suggestions in addition to my husband's oncologist and GI specialist.

A brief synopsis:
My 54 year old husband was dx
To answer your questions:
1) Possible causes can include gallbladder disease, including the bile duct obstruction, as well as various causes of dyspepsia - GERD, an ulcer, or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  Of course, the pancreas can lead to pain in that area as well.

2) Finding the cause of the pain will help.  If all the GI diseases have been ruled out with the appropriate studies, efforts can then be focused on pain relief - including adjusting the dose of the duragesic patch.

3) I cannot quote specific online support groups, but there may be others that can comment here that may be able to help.

I would discuss these diagnostic options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Thanks for all the information.  Greatly appreciated.  Today the GI doc started Reglan before meals.  We are hoping that might help.  He was concerned about gastric emptying problems.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem