Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

SICK CHILD

MY SON HAS HAD AN UPSET STOMACH WITH LOTS OF LOSS BOWEL MOVEMENTS FOR OVER 3 WEEKS NOW, BUT MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS THAT HE IS VERY PALE AND HIS EYES ARE GETTING DARK CIRCLES AROUND THEM, BUT HE DOSENT ACT SICK BUT HE LOOKS SICK TO ME THE DOCTORS SAID HE HAD A STOMACH VIRUS BUT i THINK BY NOW THAT WOULD HAVE GONE AWAY. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY ADVICE ARE HAVE BEEN THRUOGH THE SAME THING, THAT COULD PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING.
THANK YOU
Could be a candida overgrowth, do you relate to this ? the diagnosis of a virus is a catch all. post if you need more info
A Special Message To The Health Professional
William G. Crook M.D.
Dear Colleague:
Many infants and young children who come to your office are troubled by middle ear disorders.  While some children may have what appears to be a mild URI, they may complain to their mothers, "my ear hurts".  Other children come in with severe ear pain, fever and purulent discharge from their nasal passages.  A third group develop persistent serous otitis media and may show evidence of hearing loss.
Until recently, physicians were advised to treat most children's ear problems with repeated or prolonged courses of broad spectrum antibiotics.  The rationale: Eradicate or suppress the bacteria. When ear problems continued (especially when fluid persisted in the middle ear), tympanostomy tubes often helped.
During the first two decades after opening my pediatric office, my associates and I often performed myringotomies on children with persistent middle ear effusions.  Our ENT colleagues carried out adenoidectomies (and an occasional tonsillectomy) on many of our patients.  During the next two decades, fewer of these operations were performed and ore ear tubes were inserted.
In the mid 1950s, I developed an interest in food allergies and sensitivities.  This interest was was prompted by an observation of an alert mother who said "When my son drinks milk, he feels tired and develops dark circles under his eyes and a stopped up nose.  He also complains of headache, stomach-ache, and pains in his legs."
A short time later, I read an article in the Journal of Pediatrics and two articles in Pediatric Clinics of North America which provided me with additional information.  these articles described children with a diverse group of chronic symptoms who improved following the elimination of milk, wheat and other common foods from their diets.
After reading these articles I began using elimination/challenge diets on many of my patients.  I was both amazed and gratified when they improved.  I reported my observations at a meeting of the allergy Section at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Pediatrics in Chicago in 1958.
In 1961, I published my findings on 50 of my chronic complaining patients in Pediatrics.  Their symptoms included fatigue, irritability, nasal congestion, short attention span, headache, stomachache and leg ache.  Some of these children had other complaints including bed-wetting and soiling.  All the children in my report improved when they avoided several of their common foods.  Milk led the list of offenders.
In the mid and late 1960s and early 1970s, I found that many of my patients with systemic and nervous system symptoms improved when they avoided sugar, food coloring, milk, wheat, corn and other common dietary ingredients.  I reported my observations to Amos Christie, my "chief" when I served a pediatric internship and assistant residency at Vanderbilt.  He said, "Billy, carry out a study, keep a careful record of your observations and report them."
I followed his advice and on January 1, 1973, I began keeping records on all of the new patients I saw in my practice with behavior and learning problems.  I continued to keep these records each year and completed my observations on December 1997.  There were 182 children in this series and I used sublingual food extracts and elimination/challenge diets in evaluating and treating them.  The parents of 136 of the children were absolutely certain that their child's nervous symptoms were caused by dietary ingredients and an average of 3 foods or food additives caused problems.
Here are questions which continue to interest and concern me:
Are sensitivities to common dietary ingredients affecting most American children with recurring ear problems and ADHD?
Should we be using fewer antibiotics   In treating children whose parents come into our offices saying "My child has been rubbing his ear."?
In treating children who, on examination, show fluid in the middle ear or a "red" ear?

Is there a relationship between repeated broad-spectrum antibiotics and recurrent ear problems?
Is there a relationship between repeated antibiotics, ear problems, ADHD, Autism and other behavior and learning problems?
In my opinion the answer is "Yes!" to all five of these questions.  Here's a brief summary to some of the evidence.
During the past 15 years, physicians in several foreign countries (especially the Netherlands and the United Kingdom) began to question the routine use of antibiotics in children with earaches.  In the mid and late 1990s, American physicians began to share these feelings about the appropriate therapy for children with ear problems.
During the last two decades, reports in the medical literature and the media document clearly that the numbers of children with ADHD have been increasing.  Yet, little attention has been paid to investigating the causes.  Instead, the major emphasis by most professions has been placed on stimulant medications (and related drugs), psychological and education care and "counseling".
An article published in Clinical Pediatrics in 1987 found that "the majority of the hyperactive patients who required stimulation medication had a history of more than ten otitis infections."  In summarizing their study, the authors said "(We) have found a correlation between an increasing number of otitis infections and the severity of hyperactivity when investigating a population of hyperactive and non-hyperactive children who exhibited failure in school.  Further investigation in necessary to evaluate etiologic aspects of this association."
In my opinion, here's an explanation: Repeated antibiotics cause alternations in gut flora, including proliferation of Candida albicans.  Overgrowth of this common yeast (and other microorganisms) disturbs the mucous membrane lining the digestive tract, producing what has been called "leaky gut".  Food antigens, endotoxins and enterotixins are then absorbed which adversely affect the child's nervous system.
Comments about the yeast connection:  In 1979, I learned from another patient about the observations of C. Orian Truss, M.D., and internist and allergist.  This Alabama physician reported in an obscure Canadian medical journal about mental and nervous symptoms which were caused by Candida albicans. Following his initial article published in 1978, Truss published a series of follow-up articles in the 1980s and a book in 1983.  In these publications, he described a diverse group of yeast-related health problems which he felt were affecting people of all ages and both sexes including children.
Acting on the observations of Dr. Truss, in the early 80s I began treating a number of my patients with sugar-free special diets and safe oral antifungal medication, nystatin.  During the mid 80s and on into the 90s, I reported my observations to professional and lay groups throughout the United States and Canada.  Yet, most of my medical peers either weren't interested or considered what I had to say "speculative and unproven."
During the 1990s, Bernal Rimland, President of the autism Research Society, told me that the incidence of autism and related developmental problems was increasing.  Although multiple factors play a part in causing these disorders, he said that there was clear evidence that repeated antibiotics and yeast overgrowth play a significant role in causing autism in many children.  I received further confirmation of the Rimland observations from William Shaw, Ph.D., a former member of the faculty of the University of Missouri Medical Center in Kansas City.
As you may know, I've written a number of books about yeast-related disorders, including The Yeast Connection, The Yeast Connection Cookbook (co-authored by Marjorie Hurt Jones), The Yeast Connection and the Woman and The Yeast Connection Handbook.
I also published several books which focus on children including Tracking Down Hidden Food Allergy; Solving the Puzzle of Your Hard to Raise child (co-authored by Laura J. Stevens) and Help for the Hyperactive Child.
Because these books have been read by many people, including parents, I have received tens of thousands of letters from people seeking information. With the help of friends and relatives, the International health Foundation was established in 1985. The subsequent year, it received IRS approval as a non-profit organization. For over a decade IHF has prepared and distributed information to those who write and call.
If you'd like additional information, I would be happy to hear from you.
Sincerely
William G. Crook  M.D.
Emeritus fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on  Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics, Section on School Health
Emeritus Fellow, American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
Emeritus Fellow, American Academy of Environmental Medicine
Member, American Medical Association
Member, Alpha Omega Alpha
President, International Health Foundation

This letter has been reproduced from the IHF's booklet "Children's Health Problems".  This booklet has excerpts from several of the articles Dr. Crook sites in this letter and references to other reports which relate to problem which affect many of your patients.  The great majority of these materials have been excerpted from a 294-page informally prepared compendium entitled "The Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Other Kinds of Cerebral Dysfunction."  This collection of materials was complied in January 1998.  A limited number of copies are available from the International Health Foundation (IHF), Box 3494, Jackson TN 38303.  A donation of $25 is requested.

Information on Dr. Crook and IHF can be found at an informational site about the IHF or at the Candida-Yeast website

If you treat patients for yeast-related issues please contact us and Dr. Crook, as he publishes a list of physicians who treat this condition.  We also publish lists of physicians who assist children with candida and other related issues.
Your right it should have gone away by now. Take him back to the Dr to be reevaluated
I don't know what PAJ wants you to do but reading that article is confusing! If he is still sick, then I agree that he should be re-evaluated. He may need further tests done to see what the problem may be. I agree that a "virus" is a catch all diagnosis. Get him back to the doc's and have some blood work done and maybe some stool samples looked at to find out what the cause of these symptoms are. I hope your son gets better soon. Take care...                                
                                            JCI
I don't think you should waste anytime experimenting or reading yeast books to see what is wrong with your child. Sounds like he needs some more tests and the attention of a doctor.
Please let us know..I hope he gets well soon
I agree with everything all the others said.

Take your son to the doctor, and while you're in the waiting room, you could read about food sensitivities and yeast infections.

You CAN do both: having your seen by a good doc, AND reading about food sensitivities & yeast infections, in case these might be factors in your son's case.

But, I hope you will first take your son to a very good doctor, in case your son might have something serious that needs medical treatment now. :-)

Concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
hi,
the comment about the dark circles around your childs eyes cought my attention.  it may be Graves' Disease.  Graves' Disease is caused by an overactive thyroid gland.  it wouldnt hurt to ask your doctor about it.  Hope this helps.  good luck.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem