Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Severe Bile Duct Damage

Posted By Cathy on October 15, 1998 at 10:44:14:

Four months ago, I began vomiting a lot of bile and having unexplained weight gain.  After several tests, my doctors confirmed that my bile duct had been extremely damaged during gallbladder removal surgery that I had ten years ago.
A stint was to be placed in the duct, but the surgery failed because the duct is too narrow.  My next option was to use a vein from my leg as a replacement duct.  However, no surgeon in my area (Lubbock, Texas) is willing to do the surgery.
Is this a common surgery and what are my chances of having a "normal" life?  I have gained ten pounds within the last two weeks, my liver continues to swell, and my bilirubin count keeps going up.  
I am a 33-year old Hispanic woman that wants to be able to watch my children grow up.  Do you have any advice or suggestions?  Thank you.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem