Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Sphiterodemy causes pancreatitis?, ERCP no2? scared out of my brain.

I recently suffered from acute pancreatitis from a sphinterodermy?

This was because i have needed stents in my bile duct (gallbladder removal
caused narrowing of the bile duct) I went in for an ERCP that then resulted in inflamation of the pancreas, my doctor saying was caused from the cutting of the sphinter, can this happen?

He was only able to get a small stent accross the bile duct and i am booked in for the 10th of May for another ERCP (6 weeks from last ERCP) to insert a balloon and larger stent into the bileduct.

I am scared as hell that i will get another attack, no one wants to go through that if they dont have to. i have only been out of hospital for 3 weeks and amaylse etc is still on the High side of normal around 175-180, was 3800 in hosp)

I am also showing a small level of inflamation as it is still
repairing.

Aparently the small stent cannot stay as it is possible it can get infected (will be a total of 6 weeks inside, 4 weeks post being in hospt) and i can go jaundice(had that b4, its no fun).

Not sure if it was the dye that was injected? my doctor said it was def caused by the sphinterodemy.

He said because that was the major cause (not a drinker etc), it is easier for him to get the bigger stent in without aggrevating the pancreas again, he is a well known doctor here for this and knows what he is doing when it comes to stents. Is the risk of pancreatitis alot less like he says?

If i develop acute pancreatitis again, will it develop into chonic pancreatitis? or is that only after alot of bouts?

Thanks for all your help,

Steve
Pancreatitis is a known complication of ERCP, occurring about 5 percent of the time - depending on the skill and experience of the endoscopist.  

In most cases, the acute pancreatitis from this complication resolves.  However, if the insult (i.e. bile duct stricture, alcohol, systemic disease) continues without appropriate treatment then the possibility of chronic pancreatitis increases.  

Your concerns can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I have had about 4(? lost count) ERCPs and only one had problems with after surgery, Unfortunately I think it was because of the anestesia. I know it is scary, but chronic pancreatitis can be caused from just one attack, and it can never occur no matter how many attaks you have. There is no guarantee with this disease. I do have chronic pancreatitis after just one attack that wouldn't go away, I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and I finally for fed up and got a new doctor. The main thing is whether or not you trust your GI doctor. If not, find someone new. I guess the best advice is to keep talking with your doctor, bring your concerns to them. If they don't answer you to your satisfaction, talk to someone else. Depending on where you live, it is worth driving 1-2 hours just to see a GI doctor. Good luck with this problem. I know what you're going through, it is difficult. I hope the best for you.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem