Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Stomach Pain

I have been experience a minor pain on my left side under my rib cage. It has been coming and going for the past two months. I have been diagnosed with depression which causes me to worry exstensively. I have had other stomach problems in the past, but the docters couldn't find anything wrong. I also have a history of alcohol abuse (I know, not the smartest thing for a depressed person). I hate to keep going to the doctor everytime there is an ache or pain, I feel like I may over reacting. This pain does not feel like acid or gas. More like something is inflammed. I am concerned that I may have something seriously wrong with me, but don't know if I even have symptoms of anything. There is no fever, occasional loose bowels but not bad, no blood. I also have been going through a lot of life changes lately which have been very stressful. I am on no medication.
Questions, What coluld this pain be and at what point should I be seriously worried?

Dear Kat,
My suggestion is for you to speak with your primary physician.  This individual should have baseline information about your health as well as noting any changes.  Reassurance may be forthcoming based on the evaluation.  If you do not have a primary doctor, you should find one.  It is not a good idea for an individual to diagnose their own complaints.

Best of luck
I believe that you have a peptic ulcer.I've been having those symptoms,and my doctor has told me it was an ulcer.It can cause your stomach to burn.Does your stomach burn after you eat?Or is the burning relieved by eating?Do you feel nauseated at times?You should go to the doctor(preferably a gastroenterologist)and have them check you out.

Joshua
Kat-

It sounds like you are having stress-related symptoms.It is most likely being caused by acid reflux and/or gas even though you think it doesn't feel like acid reflux. Are you still drinking any alcohol? If you are, that may be part of the problem. Caffeine will also contribute. If you have already been worked up by a physician, you can probably rest assured that stress and anxiety is the underlying cause. If you can avoid alcohol and caffeine, you will be two steps ahead. If you cannot give up the caffeine and alcohol, you should try to accept that your symptoms are not serious and will not hurt you. Your mind is very powerful and can make you think that there is something wrong with you even after your doctor has examined you and given you a clean bill of health. You may want to talk to a Psychiatrist if you haven't already done so. It has worked for me. Don't worry, be happy. Good luck!

-Erik
You could be experiencing mild pancreatitis. Alcohol abuse by itself can cause this, and stress will only aggravate the condition.  Talk to your Dr.
Good luck  
I had some sort of attack this afternoon, which scared me so, that I had my neighbor come to take me to the hospital.
We didn't make it there, as after about 30 minutes after it started, it slowly subsided. Don't know what it was, but my mom though it might be gallstones, as most of her sisters had their gall bladder removed, ans she was familiar with the symptoms.
My whole abdomen was cramping, so much so that it hurt to breathe, or straighten up.  I have had a very busy stressful couple of weeks, and have been not eating right...eating on the run..mostly fast food. (I know..bad girl )
While I was hurting this afternoon, there was pain and pressure
around my bottom as well as my entire abdomen.  I will ask the
doctor next time I'm there...or sooner if it should happen again
Whaddya think...hmmm?
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Cheers,
Steff
My 14 year old daughter is experiencing a lot of stomach pain and is missing a lot of school because of it. We have been to the Dr. several times and they don't seem to know what is wrong. The pains come from know where at times and are stronger after she eats any type of foods. can someone give me any suggestions? A few years ago I was diagnosed with Crohnes Disease is it possible that she could develop it? Thank You for any suggestions or answers.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem