Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Symptoms I am experiencing...

Last Summer I began to experience extreme itching after a day working outiside. I had attributed this to high perspiration and bacteria growth. I took lots of showers using bacterial soap to no avail.  

Then, I experienced an extreme case of facial swelling (lips, eyes and asthma like throat restriction) after a dinner meal.  The symptoms disappeared in about 24 hours. That came and went in over a period of several months.  Then, along with lesser levels of facial swelling, I began to have hives that itched intensely.  And, I experience intense "heartburn" or gas when I have the hive symptoms. Even later I began to have lesser levels of hives but am now experiencing intense itching particularly on my chins and lower legs.  My physician Dr. R. Kennedy, MD of Dothan, Alabama is stiffled.  
He has done blood tests and a liver scan.  My last blood test of 4/7/2000 show the following abnormalties: high levels of alkaline phosphatase (181/normal is 40-150), GGT (76/normal is 7-51), my Monos are slightly low (2.4/normal 2.9-10.0), and my cholesteral and triglycerides are high, but have always been high without medication.  I was on Lipitor when the facial swelling and hives began. I have been on aspirin since my high cholesteral was detected in the 1980's.  Dr. Kennedy stopped all medication and sent me to an allergist where nothing resulted.

My liver scan didn't show anything wrong, but my physician said "it showed some cloudiness."  He said there may be some "blockage."  I don't know what he means or what should be done if that is the case.  Presently he has me on 180 MG Allegra, 10 MG Doxepin HCL and 30 MG Prevacid.

Any suggestions I can pass on to my physician?  

Thanks,
Al
Al, I too am having similar problems with the hives, rash, etc.  I have been to an allergist, all bloodwork came back normal, allergy test are normal.  Have you noticed if it's related to any particular food, how much or how fast you eat?  My gallbladder was removed several years ago and I do not tolerate fat very well; if I eat too much food at one time, I risk a reaction which consists of not necessarily facial swelling, but facial redness, with hives all over my body, sometimes wheezing and it may or may not affect my digestive system.  The symptoms last about 2 hours and then get better.  If I am very cautious with diet,(small meals eaten slowly) I don't seem to have as many reactions.  However morning following breakfast seems to be worse for some reason.  Cereal is about all I can usually tolerate in the mornings, (my theory is that it may be related to fats in the diet & how the body handles it?) I have seen a couple of doctors who are also baffled. My suggestion is to keep a diary of when, why and where, and whether or not it occurs after eating & how soon after eating. Post back here if your doctors have any further clues.
you are a freak
I am experiencing the following symptoms:

Sharp pains in my stomach for 3 days.  Occurs in the early morning and is sporadic.  I drink milk on a regular basis.  My last menstrual cycle was last week and was normal.  Last bowel movement was yesterday and happened twice.  Workout at least three times a week.  Have had high blood pressure for the last few months and currently taking 25mgs of HCTZ (ZENI).  Also taking birth control (1.5 LOESTRIN).  No irregular problems with this either.  

My email address is ***@****.  Thanks for your assistance.
I have had some of the same symptoms, Alk/Phos and SGOT GGT up, itching, heart racing after eating, getting very hot and nauseous. Did you have your gallbladder checked and hiatal hernia?
I have been browsing the net to find an answer and came across this: If this happens after drinking alcohol, eating tomatoes, bananas or walnuts it could be a carcinoid, slow growing cancer.
I am also having a lot of pain.
Did your doctor mention allergies? Could be possible.
Don't worry about cancer now, please, just wanted to mention it. I read it is so rare( carcinoid syndrome) that a lot of GPs don't know anything about it.
I am also having a lot of pain.
had histerectomy in 97 just turned 40 started bleeding from
both areas have cramping blood is bright red
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem