Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

To young to be hurting this bad...

I am a 19 year old female. I eat healthy and exercise daily and all that good stuff. However, I keep having right side pain under my ribcage and sometimes to my lower back and hip. It feels almost like a stretching/sore kind of pain. It has been exactly one year since I have had these problems and I have done the following tests;
1. Upper endoscopy...which showed "granularity and erythemia" (which i dont understand but the rest was normal.)
2. Numerous STD, HIV/AIDS bloodwork. always normal.
3. I.V.P. Came out Normal
4. I had 3 CT Scans w/ and without contrast. ALL normal
5. Barium Enema...normal
6. Numerous chest X-RAYS...all normal
7. Many pelvic exams and swabs for infections. All normal
8. Pelvic ultrasounds...normal
9. Above the stomach ultrasound. showed no gallstones..normal
10. October 2005. I went in for a CCK HIDA Scan and it showed my gallbladder functioning 11% instead of the supposed to be 35%. Well, they took it out. And while the surgeon performed the laparoscopic surgery, he took pictures of all my insides as well. He did mention everything from my liver to my appendix was normal but there was something about "adhesions on my right abdominal wall...and that he lysed them"  
A few weeks passed after my surgery and the right side pain came back. So now I'm wondering if there is any way that those adhesions might have something to do with the pain. Maybe my gallbladder was infected for so long and caused the adhesions. Because my doctor told me 3 days ago that it usually comes from a surgery before hand or PID or something like that. I would really like an answer please. I also have a mass of something that seems to keep rising out of my right side near my hip. I was wondering if it could be a "hidden" hernia because no doctors can seem to find it. But anyway, please help me...I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
You have clearly had a comprehensive evaluation.  If the adhesions were properly lysed, they should not be cause further pain.  Another CT scan can be done to evaluate for this possibility.

Otherwise, I cannot think of any other testing that can find the cause of the pain.  Perhaps an MRI of the abdomen - but it would be unlikely to turn up anything else that wasn't found in the CT scan or ultrasound.

If everything continues to be negative, you can consider a referral to a physiatrist (rehabilitation MD) or a pain management specialist to help manage your discomfort.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
My cousin could not keep food down, she was loosing weight and her eyes were yellow. She went to one doctor who did a ct scan to check her gall bladder and they said there was nothing wrong with her gall bladder. Well my cousin was still sick she went back to her primary doctor and he sent her to another doctor(with mri scan) and they found that her gall bladder was stuck to her liver. When they actually went in to remove the gall bladder from her liver they had to chiseled it away. Either the first doctor did not know what he was looking at or he did not care.
I am 22 years old and have had stomach pains in my left side by my belly button. The pain starts when I have a BM and after that I hurt all night with pressure in my rectum and down my left leg and my left side of stomach. It fells like it is all connected and someone is pulling from one end to the other and makes it fell like a pulling, burning pain. I also fell pressure in my rectum mostly when I sit down. If it hurts in my stomach then it hurts in my leg and rectum too.(It all happens at the same time).

I have had CT scan with contraction and with out every thing came back normal. I had a lower GI came back normal, also a ultrasound from the in side came back normal. I have had my galbladder removed due to galstones. No Doctor can find the answer. Does anyone have any ideas.  Thank you so much.
Are you on depo provera or have you ever been on depo provera?
I too have suffered for many years and get to feel like it is all in my head when I am trying to get answers, IBS is a term that used to be called spastic colon, which I was diagnosed with many years ago and now it is called IBS, IBS is actually a term given to something that science hasn't caught up with yet, they don't know what it is or what causes it, but they have to give it a name, personally I think the only thing that can't be seen on the scans etc is wind, not just normal wind but trapped and painful wind, however how can wind be found to be the problem? it is invisible, anyway I started using activated charcoal tabs when an episode comes on and it seems to ease the problem for a while, hope this helps
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem