Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Too many tests, on Nexium and still no cure

By now I have had two endoscopys, many blood work visits and been through at least ten different medications the names of which I don't even remember. At the moment I'm on nexium and this has helped with the acids coming up my esophagus, but at least two times a week I'll eat something and have it in my stomach for hours. I know this will happen about half an hour after I've eaten because it is then that I begin to feel a sort of lead weight in my stomach and I begin with what I can only call a gas attack. I will burp about once every two or so minutes for as long as the lead weight remains in my stomach which can sometimes be up to eight hours. Why do I get this ? Why sometimes when I eat I feel just fine and then others I will get this feeling which is very uncomfortable and hard to manage. So far I have tried gas relievers of all brands and types including activated charcoal and it offers little or no relief. My doctor seems to not believe I get this as she just tells me that the nexium will cure me. My endoscopys revealed nothing aside from irritation of the stomach lining and I've been having these symptoms for about five years. As I said nexium helps with the acid but not the lead weight on those special days.
Do you have pain or just the burping? Is the gas feeling right below the sturnum?
You may want to take note of what you eat on the occasions you get this lead feeling in your stomach. It could be too fatty of a food for your digestive system to handle. It sounds like it is either something you eat or drink, or else why would you not get it after every meal. Write down what you eat and you might start seeing a pattern on what food does this to you, then you are better able to stay away them or lower you intake.
Good Luck and I wish you well.
Dear Fierdal,

Here are some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS (without acid blockers), that help lots of people, including my husband, myself, and many others. Give these a try (with your doc's OK), and let us know how they help! :-)

Some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS (without acid blockers):

GER=Gastro-Esophageal Reflux. (Gastro=stomach. Esophagus=food tube.)

LPR= Laryngeal-Pharyngeal Reflux. (Larynx=voice box, containing the 2 vocal cords. Pharynx=throat, above the larynx. The larynx is above the trachea/windpipe.)

Reflux=acidic or alkaline stomach material that backs up into the esophagus (food tube), causing any of these problems: VCD/Vocal Cord Dysfunction/Laryngospasm attacks, cough, voice problems, asthma, globus (feeling of lump in throat), constant need to clear throat, worsening of sinus condition, sore throat, pre-cancerous conditions of throat &/or esophagus, etc.

SOME GER/LPR CONTROL THINGS WE DO, that we learned from the excellent book: STOMACH AILMENTS AND DIGESTIVE DISTURBANCES, by Michael T. Murray, N.D. See page 9, References, in my website: http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com   and, also see GER/LPR info on page 5, and on LINKS page.

PLEASE READ THIS GREAT BOOK. It may possibly be bought on-line, from Michael T. Murray
Do you take any medications ? I had stomach and gas problems on celexa, zoloft, nexium , acifex and problems when taking alot of fish oil ? ConcernedLady do you know if its ok to combine licorice with protonix and pepsid ? I have read that licorice is an antidepressant also .
I have simular problems but have gas coming out the other end. My new GI doc said I have dyspepsia and gave me elavil(anti depressant).  I think she is a quack.  lor please email me at ***@****
I have similar problems.  Almost to a tee.  I have acid reflux, was on Zantac but that caused my heart to race and was quite uncomfortable.  Now I take nothing at all for my acid reflux and some days are just hell... my doctor doesn't do anything, he's not very good.

I have diahreah all the time and upset stomachs.  I drink alcohol once a week with friends on the weekend, I notice however though, if you can stay away from alcohol totally, things eventually start getting better, but just very very slowly.  Fatty foods don't help either.

It's a mystery to me still.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem