Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Upper Abdominal Pain Middle/Right side radiating to the back! Please Help!

I am 38yr old and feeling miserable for about a week.  I have pain that persist on my right side below the ribcage the pain radiates to the middle of my back and the center of my chest.  Like a burning sensation.  I avoid eating as much as possible to help the pain not be so intense.  I notice when I do eat I have alot of belching along with intense pain.  The pressure builds and builds and is relieved by belching, but the pain is still there and persist. The pain has been so bad that many times it wakes me at night. I had similar symptoms last year and seen my doctor and he ordered a ultrasound, catscan and nothing showed up and he sent me to a gastrologist and he wanted to do a endoscopy, but by the time the surgery was scheduled my symptons had improved so much I had decided not to have the endoscopy. From the time I had seen my doctor to the endoscopy a month had past. I am concerned that there may be something more serious going on and wonder if I should have the endoscopy or go back to my Doctor.  I am afraid of not doing the right thing and possibly this being something more serious. I have also been on Diovan for my blood pressure for about 2 years.  Please let me know your opinion and what you think this could be.  Thank you very much!
Dear Lisa,
I strongly encourage patients with recurrent or persistent symptoms of abdominal pain to see the doctor.  Only by doing the appropriate tests can a cause be determined and specific therapy begun.  The negative ultrasound and Cat scan represent important pieces of information.  Additional tests including endoscopy may be needed if pain persists
I think you should see the gastro for the endo. It is not surgery and is only mildly uncomfortable. Besides, they may even give you an amnesia type anesthesia. It would rule out some problems and give him or her a place to start looking for the cause of your pain. It sounds a lot like gall bladder to me, but I am not a health professional.
Just another note: have you talked with your primary physician since the visit to the gastro? If not that's the place to start. I have had 5 or 6 upper rt abd pain attacks about 5 hours after eating. Bad pain. After an ultrasound, which couldn't locate my gall bladder, my doc ordered a nuclear scan. This also couldn't locate my gall bladder. I am in limbo, waiting for my doc to get back with me and suggest the next step. I haven't seen any other post from patients who have had such scans without finding the gall bladder. I don't know what it means.
55 year old hysterecotomy done with known acid peptic diease. have got severe radiating pain on the left side of my abdomen. Endoscopy done two years back revealed errosive gastritis and on treatment.Now USG abdomen shows stone in the gallblader with prominent pancreatic duct.kindly let me know what i should do?
If the pain is aggravated after eating my quess is gallbladder.
An ultrasound and CT should reveal the presence of gallstones. Sludge may take more diagnostics.  In the absence of gallstones or sludge a test to measure gallbladder contraction might be performed. In anycase you must first get to the doctor. If the pain gets to be imbearable go to the emergency room.

I had my gallbladder removed a few months ago preceded by pain similar to yours.  

Good Luck
Sounds like either gall bladder disease or something related to your pancreas.  More likely gall bladder.  You need to see your doctor ASAP and get to the bottom of it.  Don't wait.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem