Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Upper Abdominal Pain Middle/Right side radiating to the back! Please Help!

I am 38yr old and feeling miserable for about a week.  I have pain that persist on my right side below the ribcage the pain radiates to the middle of my back and the center of my chest.  Like a burning sensation.  I avoid eating as much as possible to help the pain not be so intense.  I notice when I do eat I have alot of belching along with intense pain.  The pressure builds and builds and is relieved by belching, but the pain is still there and persist. The pain has been so bad that many times it wakes me at night. I had similar symptoms last year and seen my doctor and he ordered a ultrasound, catscan and nothing showed up and he sent me to a gastrologist and he wanted to do a endoscopy, but by the time the surgery was scheduled my symptons had improved so much I had decided not to have the endoscopy. From the time I had seen my doctor to the endoscopy a month had past. I am concerned that there may be something more serious going on and wonder if I should have the endoscopy or go back to my Doctor.  I am afraid of not doing the right thing and possibly this being something more serious. I have also been on Diovan for my blood pressure for about 2 years.  Please let me know your opinion and what you think this could be.  Thank you very much!
Dear Lisa,
I strongly encourage patients with recurrent or persistent symptoms of abdominal pain to see the doctor.  Only by doing the appropriate tests can a cause be determined and specific therapy begun.  The negative ultrasound and Cat scan represent important pieces of information.  Additional tests including endoscopy may be needed if pain persists
I think you should see the gastro for the endo. It is not surgery and is only mildly uncomfortable. Besides, they may even give you an amnesia type anesthesia. It would rule out some problems and give him or her a place to start looking for the cause of your pain. It sounds a lot like gall bladder to me, but I am not a health professional.
Just another note: have you talked with your primary physician since the visit to the gastro? If not that's the place to start. I have had 5 or 6 upper rt abd pain attacks about 5 hours after eating. Bad pain. After an ultrasound, which couldn't locate my gall bladder, my doc ordered a nuclear scan. This also couldn't locate my gall bladder. I am in limbo, waiting for my doc to get back with me and suggest the next step. I haven't seen any other post from patients who have had such scans without finding the gall bladder. I don't know what it means.
55 year old hysterecotomy done with known acid peptic diease. have got severe radiating pain on the left side of my abdomen. Endoscopy done two years back revealed errosive gastritis and on treatment.Now USG abdomen shows stone in the gallblader with prominent pancreatic duct.kindly let me know what i should do?
If the pain is aggravated after eating my quess is gallbladder.
An ultrasound and CT should reveal the presence of gallstones. Sludge may take more diagnostics.  In the absence of gallstones or sludge a test to measure gallbladder contraction might be performed. In anycase you must first get to the doctor. If the pain gets to be imbearable go to the emergency room.

I had my gallbladder removed a few months ago preceded by pain similar to yours.  

Good Luck
Sounds like either gall bladder disease or something related to your pancreas.  More likely gall bladder.  You need to see your doctor ASAP and get to the bottom of it.  Don't wait.
Sounds just like my gall bladder pain too.  I've had mine removed and feel much better.  The pain you're experiencing is serious so please see your doc ASAP but don't be afraid to mention to him that you've had several people tell you that it sounds like the same pain they had with gall bladder trouble.

Good luck.
I am a 38 year old female.  I have had a persistent pain in my back and in my right side under my rib cage for the past couple of weeks.  It feels like a lead weight, and is very uncomfortable.  If I eat soups, it doesn't seem to bother me as much as eating a regular meal.  I can't lay on my side for very long because it is very uncomfortable and I end up on my back most of the time.  Could this be my gall bladder?  Is there a diet that I could go on, or are there things I should stay away from?  I'm afraid to go to the Drs. for fear of surgery.  I've taken tylenol, it doesn't relieve the pressure and I've tried Tagamet HB200, it hasn't helped either.  Please help me!

Thank you!

Terri
Terri,

You need to go to the doctor as soon as possible.  You could have gallstones or any number of other problems.  If gallstones block your bile ducts, you could get an infection in your pancreas (pancreatitis).  THIS IS POTENTIALLY FATAL!  The longer you wait to see a physician, the more serious this could be.  Why are you worrying about surgery before you even know what the problem is?  You can always refuse surgery, but you should get diagnosed and then explore your treatment options.  Surgey could save your life.  Laproscopic gall bladder removal is not that bad.  You will be out of the hospital in a couple days.
LISA,
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU HAVE A HIATAL HERNIA. I AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY HAVE THE ENDOSCOPY. ALTHOUGH, HIATAL HERNIA IS USUALLY IN THE MIDDLE. I HAVE ONE AND I SUFFER TERRIBLY. A FEW TIPS FOR YOU. DON'T EAT AT NIGHT AND IF YOUR GOING TO AT LEAST DON'T EAT UNTIL YOUR FULL. THAT IS WHAT I FOUND AGGREVATES THE MOST. I STOP EATING AT 6:00. IF I EAT AT NIGHT I WILL BE UP SICK AND WILL NOT GET SLEEP. HAVE THE ENDOSCOPY. I DID. IT WASN'T BAD. I DIDN'T REMEMBER A THING. VERY GROGGY AFTERWARDS.  
                     HOPE I HELPED,  CARA
I have been there and done that, I know about the pain you are referring to...Have them check your Gall bladder, not for just stones but for a gallbladder that just doesn't work, I think the test is called a hida scan with a cck, my gallbladder was removed on the 10th of Feb. so far so good...Good luck to you
I had my gallblader removed in Dec. I had burning, pain and pressure.I also have gastric erosions. My pain and symptoms are still with me .I had an endoscope done and an ERCP done. There sending me for a colonoscopy on thursday. I will keep you posted if i can give you any info or if someone can shed some light on this?

I have gone to the doctor and they are doing another ultrasound and a hidascan to check my gallbladder.  I have pain eating just about anything.  After any meal I have continuous belching and many times it seems as though it gets trapped in the middle of my upper abdomen causing great pain.  My upper whole right side hurts now.  I just want the pain to go away.  I'm not having the hidascan or ultrasound till March 7th. I have 2 small children and I just keep praying this is nothing to serious.
I am 40 I have crohns, sclerosing cholangitis, acid reflex, I am off work once agin my crohns is active, I have got myself run down my liver functions are very high. My Doctor thinks I can get disability, I have been a hard worker and I go up and down with my on going fight I was wanting to know how long does someone with these problems go on with out a transplant,I also had colon cancer in 1985. I get really tired and run down .What can I do to help things.
It sure sounds like gall bladder (GB).  My husband's ultrasounds couldn't find his GB either and he was labeled 'non-functioning' with contracture test.  At surgery, the doc had trouble finding GB because it was adhesed (stuck) onto liver in such a manner to suggest that it had ruptured at some point.  She said also that he had the tiniest bile ducts she had ever seen and that he had to be very careful with diet etc. and might need a stent put in to keep bile flowing if he has continued pain.  He is doing well 1 year after removal.  Now our 13 yr has gallstones!
I also have pain in the gallbadder area, however I had mine taken out almost 2 yrs. ago.  But remain in daily pain, but for me relief  is wearing an  rubber exercise band or  laying on my right side. I wake up in the morning pain free.  Had all kinds of tests after surgery, nothing shows up.  I did talk my doctor into  letting me take physical therapy. The therapist thought it was constriction of the tissue between the ribs. It did seem to help, as I was losing a few pounds. Therapy has been over for the last two months and I've gained some weight, the more I gained the pain got worse. Could I be pinching my stomach between the ribs?
The pain doesn't start until I start to eat. The  more I eat the worse  the pain.  Thanks for any help or suggestion.
Sounds like a dicky gallbladder.  Pain radiates upward into chest and also through to right shoulder blade.  Try using homeopathic chelidonium and get herbal formula with Golden Seal, globe Artichoke, Gentian, Fringetree, Silymarin and Echinacea.
Use a low dose mv formula with choline and inositol to help liver function and B- Complex or take lecithin. Take acidopholus culture in a powder.  Eat nothing when pain in severe and try cold milk compress.  Reduce alcohol and protein as well as all fats and no dairy especially cheese. If you have a temperature you have an infection - seek medical help urgently.
Catherine: Your response seemed to be to my question about where is my gall bladder. I am having it removed on Wednesday. I hope they will be able to find it and it is not too scarred up to do the laparoscope. Did your husband have laparoscopic even if the g.b. had adhered? And how long was he in surgery?
Hello I am a 32 yr. old female w/ a history of cancer. I have been having sever vomiting and pain in my stomach as well as my mid to lower back. I went to the Dr. friday to make sure it wasn't a kidney infection and also had some blood work done. I have had ulcers in the past but it does not feel like that. Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful to me. My Dr. put me on (please excuse the spelling here)Phengern and something to help empty my stomach quicker as well. Main problem is once I eat it either comes up or if it stays down it only stays for a top of 4 hours then comes back up....undigested...like I had just eaten it. Again...any help with this would be wonderful.
I have had raised liver enzyme count no doubt due to generous
40 units alcohol for several years. Have ceased this but now have dull ache underside of right ribcage and lower back ache.
What are the early signs of liver or pancreas failure?Try to kid myself thats its muscular but I guess not. Any help?
I am a 39 year old male in relatively good overall health with a history of spastic colon (IBS).I've been taking librax for years and still am for the IBS. I had been having upper right quadrant pain, belching, and gas for some time when in July my Doctor suggested Gallbladder Surgery even after all the usual test were normal, they did boold, urine, upper GI, CTSCAN which showed sludge, The radioloigist told me it wasn't uncommon for people to have sludge and then to be gone at a later time, often seen in patients that have been lying around in the hospital for an extended period. The Hida scan showed a 50% function and that was enough for the surgeon so we took it out laposcopicly,that was on July 15th since then I have been having right-sided middle back pain approx. 4 inches below my right shoulder blade that wakes me up after only 3-4 hours sleep every night! The longer I lay there the worst it gets it does seem to radiate towards the front upper right quadrant, it also seems to travel downward towards my right lower back. I sometimes have nausea too.The only way to releive this pain seems to be sitting or standing it may take several hours for the pain to stop.Eating doesn't seem to make it any worse or better and I still can't sleep on my stomach since the surgery. I have a constant dull ache just below my ribs on the right side.I have had ctscans, ultrasounds, MRI, colonscopy, endoscopy,MRCP,(No ERCP Thou),Bone scan,every blood, urine, and stool test all negative. My doctors think it might be sphincter of oddi dysfunction, remember this pain did not exsist before my surgery. Are the above symptons that of (SOD)????  Please help! Doug
I have just recently started to have a pain on my right side just behind my ribs under the right breast and sometimes in the back too.  I have had an ultrasound to determine gall stones, I have had a upper endoscopy which just showed a lot of redness in my stomach and upper intestine.  Chest x-rays to see if it is a bruised rib.  Nothing.  I am taking methylprednisolone(cortisone) and ULTRAM a pain killer and it only dulls the ache but does not alleviate it.  The pain is worse when I walk and move around.  No real reflux problem or heartburn because I am taking Prilosec.  I am frustrated and don't know what to do next, is this normal?  Help!
I've had severe mid and rt abd. pain for the last 4 days.It all started Sat. March 4 after supper and the pain was so intense that I was admitted to emergency.Since then i had blood work and urine tests and an ultrasound done.All the results came back negative.I forgot to mention that the white of my eyes were canary yellow from Monday to Wednesday.

please reply because no one here seems to be able.
Thank you
I had a ultrasound for gallbladder and a hidascan which showed my gallbladder was okay. I still feel tenderness on my upper right side of abdomen/chest.  I am having a endoscopy next week. I am now eating much better, but still have the belching quite frequently and I am worried even more now because when I breath deep my right side of chest is hurting??  I wish I knew what was going on.  Still very concerned.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem