Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Upper Gastric IBS/ Anxiety

I suffer from mild Globus/ acid refux and stomach bloating.

I control the reflux with small, regular meals, Omeprazole and Gaviscon.

The stomach distension arises between meals and can be actually relieved by light snacks.

NB: The bloating causes or at least enhances my breathing distress, which is unpleasant. The respiratory problems are bad when I'm bloated and dissappear when my stomach deflates.

I have seen my GP, a Gastroenterologist and will be seeing a Pulmonologist soon.

My chest X-Ray is clear and my peak flow good.

It is thought the problems are caused by ambient anxiety.

Q. CAN YOU SUGGEST A VARIETY OF MEDICINES OR APPROACHES I MIGHT USE TO CONTROL THESE UPPER GASTRIC IBS SYMPTOMS, IN ORDER THAT I MIGHT RELIEVE THE BREATHING PROBLEM ?

Thank for your kind attention...

Tests to ensure there isn't any clear cause, other than IBS, should be considered first.  These would include an upper endoscopy, 24-hr pH study, and ultrasound to evaluate for any upper GI tract inflammation, ulcer, GERD or liver/gallbaldder disease.  Specifically, the 24-hr pH study should be considered to definitively rule out GERD, which can cause shortness of breath.

If negative, then IBS may be considered.  You may want to discuss whether treatment with antispasmodics may be considered in your case.  A pulmonary consult to evaluate for non-GI causes of the shortness of breath is also recommended.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
have you noticed how much sodium galvascan have??
Yes, thank you Yoshi, for your kind contribution...but I'm rather more concerned about not being able to breath.
You need to address the anxiety and the other problems will resolves themselves. I know because I've had the bad bloating with shortness of breath. It's pure anxiety and you need to take a course to deal with it and eliminate it. Try this course. You won't regret it.

http://www.stresscenter.com/
Hi...I entirely agree with what you say...I know it's anxiety and I know these are all physical symptoms. However, the bloating seems to be present with the slightest, ambient (background) anxiety and an ongoing feature of my emotional make-up. I did notice when I was particularly busy, totally engrossed and enjoying myself at a conference last week that it subsided somewhat...Thanks for your advice.
Im certainly not saying your problem is all from anxiety..But, if you think it is I wondered if you had ever tried "Guided Imagery" as a way to reduce stress and to learn relaxation technics? Many of the bigger hosp. offer them to Pts. who are dealing with a serious illness or in preparation of surgery...I find them very useful and many people use them for pain control. I have a very good friend that uses hers every week when she has her chemo treatments....The ones I have used, given to me by the hosp., are titled "Guided Imagery for Stressful Times"....Just thought I would mention that....Before anyone can attribute physical symptoms being caused by stress I think all possible physical illnesses should be ruled out...Tessa
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem