Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Upper Right Abdominal Pain

I am a 22 year old female with a history of good health. For the past few weeks, I have experienced severe pain in my lower right pelvic area just above my hip. I consulted my doctor and he ordered a CT scan which showed a 2cm ovarian cyst on the right ovary. I waited until I started my period to see if the cyst would rupture on it's own, as they normally do. The last day of my period was Saturday and on Sunday I started having severe pain just below my ribs on the right side. I've been "gassy" for the last week and have felt very bloated. I can only eat a few bites at a time, if I eat at all, because I feel very full or nausiated. My right shoulder is achy along with my right hip. The most concerning of all is the lightheadedness that I feel when I stand up or take a deep breath. This pain seems to move from my pelvic area up to my rib cage on the right side. I know things usually move "down" so I can't really explain these symptoms. Thank you for your time.
Upper right quadrant pain can be caused by the liver and gallbladder.  Obtaining an abdominal ultrasound would be a reasonable initial test, along with blood tests looking at the liver enzymes.

If negative, you can consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy - which can look for various causes of dyspepsia such as GERD, an ulcer or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  I would also consider blood tests looking for the bacteria H Pylori - which is associated with ulcers or inflammation.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
What are the post surgery symptoms and effects of having my gallbladder removed?
Will I gain/lose weight?
Have diarhea/constipation?
How long will these last and do I have to be on medication for the rest of my life as a result of not having a bile producing organ?
Hi Gina, I have polycystic ovaries and know well the pain of an ovarian cyst - however at 2cms, your cyst is small and i would think it TOO small to be causing the kind of sympptoms you're getting. your gallbladder is almost certainly the culprit here and would need to come out. Laparoscopy is almost always the preferred method and a vast majority of people have no future digestive problems, including diarrhoea, afterwards.It will not affect your weight one way or the other - the gallbladder is only a little chamber holding a supply of bile; the liver itself produces bile and passes it down the bile duct to the digestive system. When the gall bladder is gone the liver simply takes over full-time producing bile and releasing it when you eat. Assuming there are no other complications and you have a keyhole procedure (1 small incision at your navel and 3 along your right rib line), you'll be out of hospital in 24hours. You won't need to take medication and usually don't need to change your diet in any way. Good luck!
Thanks for the advise. I'm just worried and frustrated(with my doctor mostly) because I've never had any health complications until now and I've never had a surgical procedure done before. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting the "run-around" but I know my situation is complicated and my doctor is doing everything he possibly can. They are running every test under the sun and I just got lab work done yesterday to try to figure out exactly what's going on. Thanks again.
Gina, poor you! I know it often is so frustrating when you feel like you're ill and no-one can figure out what's wrong. I doubt the docs are intentionally giving you the run-around, it's simply a fact that while medicine understands most of the body's systems and functions really well, sometimes a combination of symptoms can make a 100% accurate diagnosis almost impossible. So they just keep trying, testing this, scanning that,until they have a full picture and can be as sure as is reasonable that they know what is wrong. I think you should take comfort in knowing that if you had something really serious it would almost certainly have shown up long before now! Good luck!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem