Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Upper stomach pain, reflux, GERD or something..

Hello Doctor

I have upper stomach pain very often, everyday for the last week.
I had something like this about 3 months ago and it stopped after 2 weeks,
and when I took some Tums.
It's started one day with a pain in my chest right in the middle between my nipples, I thought it was something with my heart, I had it for three days, on and off, when I laid on my right side it seemed to be less painful.

I don't think it's heartburn because the symptoms are different,
somewhere on the board there is this description of hearnburn: "The burning, pressure, or pain of heartburn can last as long as 2 hours and is often worse after eating.  Lying down or bending over can also result in heartburn. Many people obtain relief by standing upright or by taking an antacid that clears acid out of the esophagus."

I don't have this, my pain stops after I eat or lay down on my right or left side.
I also take Tums and it stops for an hour or two.

I don't think it's GERD either because I heard that people with GERD sometimes wake up at night with severe heartburn, or even choking on stomach acid, because laying down allows the acid to easily flow back up into the esophagus. Some people say they have also upper stomach/chest pain that radiates to their back which is associated with acid reflux.
I don't have anything like that, no acid feeling in the throath, no diarreha.

For me it's only pain in the middle upper stomach.
First it was little higher in my chest, between my nipples,
now it seems like it's little lower, or maybe it seems lower because it hurts less when
it first started.
Now just taking Tums and lying on my right side is the only thing that relieves it. I didn't tried any other medication.

When I first got it I though it was something with my heart.
I had it for about 2 weeks, then it stopped for about 2 months,
and now I it started again, the same pain. Now it seems getting worse.

What could it be?
Dear Greg,
There are a number of conditions that can cause upper stomach pain.  Acid reflux is one possibility. Ulcer disease, delayed gastric emptying,  and nonulcer dyspepsia ( a grab bag of symptoms for which a specific cause is not identified)are among the possible causes.  You should see a gastroenterologist who can arrange the appropriate tests to identify what is causing your problem.

This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician.  If you wish to be seen at henry Ford health system, you may call 313-916-2408, to arrange an appoinment with Dr. fogel one of our experts in the evaluation of abdominal pain.

HELLO

please can you help me, I had a nissen fundoplicatio 17 months ago and a few months later had a dilation, the almost 3 months ago I had a gastric peg tube put in to help rid my stomach of air.  
And yet I still have severe chronic pain in my upper right abdoman quarter that works to the chest and down my arm and up my neck.  I can not burp or throw up.

Can you send me a list of all the complications that you may be aware of.  I am disabled and can no longer work.  I am on the max antidepressants and now I have lost my medical ins.  I a waiting to here on SSDI as I have gone through my savings and 401k.   Please help me

Thank you
BJ
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem