Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

What is sphincter of oddi dysfunction and the symptoms?

What is sphincter of oddi dysfunction and the symptoms?  My current condition:  for over a year now, have pain in urq radiating to mid-right back and right shoulder blade.  Constant pain.  Worse after eating.  After eating, feels like something tied around my back and chest real tight and won't let up.  Sometimes pain in back and shoulder is dull, sometimes sharp.  In october, went to dr because of running fever and vomiting.  Found blood in my urine and diagnosed me with kidney infection even though didn't have signs like burning sensation when urinating.  Have had all tests done:  barium enema, upper gi tests, hida-scan, other tests for gallbladder and liver.  All blood tests are normal.  While taking Cipro (antibiotic) for so-called kidney infection and a bad sore throat another time, this seemed to keep my pain down to a minimum, but as soon as I finished taking it, the pain would start at full speed again and get worse.  Could this be a case of sphincter of oddi dysfunction?  Should I go see a gastroenterologist?  Does anyone else have this type of symptoms?
Thank you, Karen
Dear Karen,
Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction is a condition in which the sphincter (located at the jumction of bile duct and duodenum) fails to relax appropriately.  The common bile duct may become distended with bile and pancreatic secretions necessary for digestion.  The symptoms of sphincter of Oddi dysfunction are epigastric and right upper quadrant pain that can mimic the pain seen with gall bladder disease.

If you have persistent symtoms of abdominal pain and a diagnosis has not been made despite an appropriate series of tests, then you should consider seeing a gastroenterologist.  ERCP, a test in which dye is injected into the bile duct, can suggest sphincter of Oddi dysmotility.  (Delayed emptying of the dye is noted in patients with sphincter dysfunction.)  Measurement of the sphincter pressures are often performed to confirm the diagnosis.  Cutting the sphincter via a special catheter passed through the endoscope often relieves the abdominal pain.
forgot to add that I have been taking Propulsid because of acid reflux as well.  Have been taking that and previously have been on prevacid and prilosec.  thought i had an ulcer, but have been on antacids and strict diets for too long for it to be something of that sort.
karen
Karen: I had similar symptoms (but no blood). I had some knowledge abt the symptoms of GERD & Barrett's Esophagus. The pains I had (shoulder (front and back), under my arm, under the sternum, and across back was GERD pain. I furst went to a heart specialist for tests. They were negative. Then, I went to a Gastroenterologist and confirmed i have Barrett's Esophagus. Yes, I would go to a Gastroentologist. When they did the tests on you, did they do the endoscopy (tube/scope through mouth, esophagus and stomach) to see the condition of the linings of your stomach/esophagus? This is how they diagnose GERD (reflux disease) and Barrett's Esophagus.
no, i haven't had that done since 1996 when I was diagnosed with the H. Pylori bacteria.  I know what Barrett's Esophagus is.  Is it cureable if that catch it in time?  If so, what do they do?  How are you doing with it?
Thanks for the information.
Karen
Karen, it sounds as though your system is far too acidic. I have an excellent book on nutritional healing and suggest you could likely benefit from quality digestive enzymes and acidophilus.

This book recommends natural supplements, not drugs, and I have seen them help lots of people.

If you'd like to e-mail me directly, I may be able to offer some specific herbal recommendations from this book.

Regards,

Wendell      < ***@**** >
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem