Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

acid reflex

In june 2001 i had laryngeal cancer. I received radiation therpy for 3 months. As a result my esphagus closed up and not able to swallow.   In january 2004, i had recostruction of my esphagus.  This was done by taking the flab from part of my stomach for the to new esphagus.   Therefore, i am now experiencing acid reflux which is now controlled by medication.  MY problem is i am also experincing spasmism that come up into my windpipe and close off my breathing for a couple of seconds and then subsides. NO one seems to know what causing this.  I have these episodes thru-out the day and sometimes while i'm sleeping.  I'm still feedling thru a peg.  I'm still not able to eat anything thru my mouth.  My esphagus is open but nothing seems to be going down.
Difficult case given the history of recontruction.  I am not aware of controlled studies that can help esophageal spasm in these cases.  

Traditional approaches, such as anti-spasmodics such as a Levsin or Bentyl can help.  They are normally used in the area of irritable bowel disease, but you may want to discuss whether they can be applicable in your case.  

If a lack of motility is found to be the cause (and can be evaluated via esophageal motility studies), motility agents such as Reglan can then be considered.  

The key is determining whether your symptoms are caused by spasm or a lack of motility.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem