clarithromycine and diarrhea
I started to use clarithromycine  for bacterial infection. After 2 weeks I started to have burning in the anus, diarrhea, sometimes bloody stool. It is 20 days that I stopped it and  now no burning and no bloody stool but still I have diarrhea. is it possible  to have diarrhea  20 days after stopping it?
Hi!
Clarihromycin and its metabolites have a half life of 5-7 hours, which mans that almost all the drug and its metabolites should be excreted from the body in 35-40 hours. So no drug should be there in the body after 20 days.
Since there was blood which you could see, it is coming from the lower gut. The possible causes are hemorrhoids, anal fissures, anal infection, rectal polyps, colon polyps, diverticulosis (outpouchings from the bowel wall), inflammatory bowel disease (IBS, Crohn's, Celiac, ulcerative colitis), or dysentery.
Chronic diarrhea can be due to parasitic infestations.  Other causes are irritable bowel syndrome, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, malabsorption syndromes, pancreatic diseases, diabetes, hyperthyroidism etc. If celiac, Crohn’s and other problems have been ruled out then lactose intolerance, and IBS are the possibilities. Lyme and lupus are other possibilities that present this way. Please discuss this with your doctor (GI doctor). It is quite possible that you have either some food intolerance or an inflammatory bowel disease such as IBS, Crohn’s or celiac.
I sincerely hope you will find this information useful in your journey towards better health.
Hope you get well soon! Good Luck and take care!