Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

combined treatment

i have hep c and porphryia con tarda has does anybody have this combined condition and if so have you had combined therapy?

_
Dear Jeannie
I am intrigued to hear you have the combination of porphyria cutanea tarda (PCT) and hepatitis C.  While porphyria cutanea tarda is unusual, many patients who have this condition also have hepatitis C.  Because combination therapy (interferon and ribavirin)  is so new I do not have any experience treating patients with both porphyria cutanea tarda and hepatitis C nor can I find any information in the literature.  I do not see any reason why this combination should not be safe and I feel it might be reasonable to try under the care of a physician with experience with hepatitis C and interferon/ribavirin therapy.  I might also add that some patients with porphyria cutanea tarda also respond well to phlebotomy (removal of blood)  because porphyria cutanea tarda is caused in part by excess iron stores.  
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have additional questions or concerns, I invite you to contact us at Henry Ford.  Our direct phone number is  (313) 916-8865. We have an active group of liver specialists and we have enormous interest in and experience with hepatitis C.  
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation.  Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.  

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem