Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

eating disorder

: Dear Dr. i was wndering if you could tell me if a eating disorder
  : could possibly come from depression and could it be possible
  : that stomach problems could arise from this I want to eat but it
  : bothers my stomach feeling full my dr thinks i am depressed
  : but i am having alot of trouble with refux and I feel i am
  : malnurshed from not eating
  Hi Sarah:
  Please e-mail me at ***@****. I am not a doctor, but a person who went through eating disorders for years, and now am suffering the consequences of it. I think I can help answer some of your questions. I too suffer fravom reflux and all kinds of gastro problems, and have been through the mill over and over, so I know what it is like. If you want, e-mail me anytime and I will try and help you as best as I can.
  Carol
Dear Sarah,
Eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia are classified as separate disorders in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV). The cause of these disorders are not known, however, anorexia nervosa and bulimia are associated with certain clinical and characteristic features. Physical and psychological criteria are needed to establish these diagnoses.
Nevertheless, there is a frequent association of depression with eating disorders. Up to 50% of anorectic patients and up to 20% of bulimic patients have associated depressive symptoms. Severe malnutrition and starvation may also play a role in the development of depression in patients with eating disorders.
A variety of esophageal and gastric complications have been described in patients with eating disorders. Approximately one third of bulimic patients with recurrent binge eating and self-induced vomiting have esophageal erosions and inflammation on endoscopy. Abnormal esophageal motility has also been described. Delayed gastric emptying of solid foods has been seen in many patients with anorexia nervosa. These may lead to symptoms of abdominal bloating, early satiety , heartburn and increased intestinal gas, belching and burping. Nevertheless, with persistent symptoms, it may be necessary to exclude other disorders prior to attributing all gastrointestinal symptoms to the underlying eating disorder. I hope you find this information helpful.
  This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
  : If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians' Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
  : HFHSM.D.-ym
  : *Keywords: eating disorders, anorexia nervosa, bulimia, esophageal and gastric complications, depression

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem