Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

exocrine pancreatic metaplasia seen in esophagus

37 female, x-ray tech, H/O endometriosis, adenomyosis, transitional cell bladder low grade CA at age 30, no re-occurrence.  Been having epigastric, chest, and RUQ pain.

pain used to only occur during menses...now worsens when I receive depo-provera shot, and really worsened after a 2 week course of premarin and I got a mini-period.  

Hida scan showed a 24% effraction rate,(their normal rate 30%)  RUQ Ultrasound that included GB normal, all blood work normal, except elevated LDL chol, and phosphates were low July, and dropped lower in Aug.  No weight loss, or vomiting. They are now sending me to surgeon re: GB.

Upper endoscopy in Apr. this yr. stomach biopsy showed reflux disease, but my main concern: the esophagus biopsy showed  
I agree with the assessment that this is a rare process that can be congenital in nature.  To my knowledge, there does not seem to be an increased risk of complications from this - removal via endoscopy was appropriate.  

If the pain continues, it can be from the lowered gallbladder ejection fraction.  Other upper GI disorders can be tested for, using a gastric emptying scan or 24-hr pH study.  

Regarding the pancreatic metaplasia, there is a possibility that it can return.  Periodic endoscopies can be considered to monitor this.  If there continues to be questions, you can obtain a second GI opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Is this a process as in a lesion, you remove it, and it's gone, unless it comes back,  or can it be something that is just always present in my esophagus?  My report said no lesions were found, I think they found this pancreatic metaplasia process through the random biopsy, I don't think there was a specific area of suspicion and removal.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem