Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

feeling of something stuck in middle chest and pain in left chest and back

I am a 36 years-old Female with 1 child, married, and have been very healthy until July 6, 2005.  On that day I took the water ride in a theme park, which let you fall in very high speed and then stopped suddenly. I took the ride with my bag (midium-size) carried in front of me.  During the ride, I felt as if everything inside my chest got lifted up, heart was very unconfortable -- I did not have any heart problem before.  At the time of being stopped, I got hit on my chest and stomach by my bag.  After the ride, I felt like everything in my chest was still lifted, not going back, and throat was grasped, tightness in my chest, and minor chest pain at left side.  I start to feel shortness of breath even walking on a levelled road.  Things got worse since then.  I felt geneally fatigue in the next several days, and one night, a tearing pain inside my left chest during sleeping.  The pain persisted and my GI system then got affected greatly.  I started to feel uncomfortable/pain in my stomach, along with the chest pain, and tightness, tried to vomit several times but couldn't, dizzy, lightheaded, lost of appitite totally.  I went to my Dr. and he took a chest X-ray, it came back normal, but I did notice that the left side diaphragm was about 1cm higher comapred to two other X-ray films that I took in February.  I felt very bitter in my mouth even during daytime, especially when I woke up in the morning.  Dr. gave me Zantac to try, but did not help.  I was so sick that I could not go to work--want to sleep all day.  Took stress test and blood test (CBC, thriod, liver function, etc), they all came back normal.  Even drinking water will upset my stomach (I do not take any caffeine), I feel my belly is getting bigger, and lot of gas inside.  Took abdominal ultrasound, it came back normal as well.  Dr. switched me to Protonix, and it seemed to help my stomach ache, but not the chest pain, tightness, and the feeling of something stuck in middle of my chest is still there.  My appitite got a little bit better, but still cannot be compared to before. I never had any GI symptoms before.  My resting Heartbeat dropped from 81 to 68, BP dropped 118/78 to 96/60.
I did some research, and wondering maybe I
1) developed hiatal hernia when falling on that water ride and got hit by bag?
2) diaphragm got injured somehow during the ride and after got hit by the bag? The location of my chest pain (just below left breat, and same level in the back) seems to indicate diaphragm.
3) possible heart/blood vessel damages?

I know that Upper GI can be used to detect hiatal hernia, especially large ones.  Since all the symptoms started after the injury, can I ask my doctor to comptelely check up my chest using MRI, in which case, both Hietal Hernia or other Hernia, or even any injury to the diaphragm will be found out -- I heard CT is no good for examining the diaphragm.

I love this forum and would like ask for your guys help.  Any suggestions/comments are apreciated
18 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
An upper GI series or upper endoscopy would be useful in ruling out several upper GI disorders, including a hiatal hernia.

If there is concern about diaphragm dysfunction, a fluroscopic sniff test would be the best test for diagnosis.  This can be arranged via a pulmonary consultation.

A chest CT can evaluate for any hematoma or trauma to the area.

As for heart disease, a stress test would make cardiac disease unlikely.  You can consider an echocardiogram to evaluate the structure of the heart.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Avatar universal
Thanks doctor.  I am worried about small tearing/injury on diaphragm, which could be a potential ongoing problem later on; Sniff test seems to be used primarily for Diaphragmatic paralysis.  It looks like only MRI can tell the minor tearing on diaphragm, not the regular CT.  But Helical CT scanning may help.  Also I heard that Upper UI series is not reliable to find minor to mid-sized Hiatal Hernia, it is only good for farely big ones.   Besides, I am hesitate to test both Upper UI series and Chest CT together or in a short period of time - too much radiation.  In order to combine the above several tests, is MRI a better choice?  Thanks again for your help!!
Avatar universal
Thank you very much for your help.  I am sure I want to go see a chiropractic doctor definitely.  I like your theory very much.
By the way, I went to see my family doctor again today, he said I might be injuried on the chest in someway and suggested me to go see a bone doctor.  I really don't think my bones (ribs)have any problem, otherwize I wouldn't be able to move around or even drive so easily.  Do you think it's worth going anyway to let the bone doc check me out?  I don't know if he is going to examine the spine as well.  Thanks!!!
Avatar universal
The best way to find a good chiropractor is to ask friends and family. Your medical doctor as well may know and be able to refer you. Of course there is always the internet. I recommend you find a chiropractor who makes you feel comfortable and who explains everything to you. Usually they want to take their own xrays although if you have very recent ones they may make an exception. Your first couple of visits should be a consultation followed by a quite extensive physical exam including xrays, diagnostic testing and sometimes blood work. You will then be examined by a doctor who does a neuromuscular examination. Following that you will receive a report of findings and then care if they feel they can help you. You will then begin receiving your adjustments and on your way to relief. Good luck!
10947 tn?1281407852
Before you go to a chiropractor, PLEASE follow your doctor's advice and see an Orthopedist (bone doctor) to rule out any serious problems.  While Chiropractor's can be very helpful, we urge you to follow through on your doctor's advice BEFORE beginning any kind of chiropractic treatment.

Med Help International
Avatar universal
If you feel it is necessary to see a bone doctor, go ahead. You must do what you feel is the best thing for you. I have to say that I have never been to a medical doctor who tells you your spine has been subluxated. A subluxation is when your bone moves out of place putting pressure on the nerves that lead out of your spine. A chiropractor gently puts the bone back into place using the type of adjustment he feels is best for you, freeing your nerves to work correctly. I also recommend a good trigger point massage every now and then. It may be part of your treatment at some point. My entire family sees a chiropractor once a month and we are very healthy. I have 4 children who have not had to see their medical doctor for an illness in 4 years. I believe the chiropractor keeps their immune system strong. There are many benefits to chiropractic besides pain relief. I consider them extras! Hope you feel better. Keep me posted.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem