Aa
A
A
A
Close
Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

food intolerance, gerd, upper left abdominal pain

About 10 years ago I had an episode of hives and edema which lasted about six months.  Five allergists later I am told I have food intolerance, no significant food allergy.  About two years ago I started with a dull pain in left side of head.  Cat scan and Pet Scan gave no indications.  Tests for celiac are negative.
Diagnosed with GERD slight case and small hiatal hernia year ago.
One episode of anaphaltic shock 10 years ago.  Seasonal heavyness in chest.  Intermittent insomnia.  Burning mouth.  Five days ago severe throat pain, chest pain, neck pain (stabbing).  Today pain in upper left side under rib and around back.  No fever.  What further testing should I pursue?
1 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Looking for upper GI diseases should be done.  This can include an upper endoscopy to evaluate for an ulcer or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  

A CT scan evaluate the pancreas and spleen.  Blood tests can also evaluate the pancreatic enzymes.

If the testing is negative, you can consider more specialized testing like a 24-hr pH study or gastric emptying scan.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem