Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

gallstones and diet

I have recently been diagnosed with symptomatic gallstones.  I
  am going to be treated surgically, however, the surgeon cannot see
  me for 3 weeks.  In the meantime, are there any dietary precautions
  I should take to avoid pain?  I am especially curious because of
  the correlation between dieting causing gallstone.  What should
  I and what shouldn't I eat?
  Thanks,
   Tamara
_____________________
Dear tamara,
There is no diet that will guarantee that you will not have another attack of gall bladder pain.  We know, however, that gall bladder contractions are related to ingested fat.  Avoiding fatty and greasy foods may help you reduce your attacks until the surgery.
The saturation of bile can be thought of as being the same as disolving sugar in a glass of water.  Initially, all the sugar is in solution but after a certain amount has been added the sugas precipitates to the bottom of the glass. The development of gall stones with dieting may be related to the fact that dieters tend to eat less frequently.  The bile sits in the gall bladder which allows some of the constituents to be absorbed,  What is left is a solution that is overloaded with cholesterol.  Eventually some of the cholesterol is no longer soluble and starts to precipitate, beginning the process of stone formation.  
This information is provided for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical issues.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords; gall stones
0.2

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem