Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

hep c treatment including alternate drugs in clinical study also having pct

i am going to be involved in a clinical study if accepted with interferon and alternative drugs reetron or ribaviron will this effective my porphryia con tardea?          

Dear Jeanie:
The combination of interferon and ribavirin appears to be a promising combination.  From what we can tell from results to date is that this combination appears significantly better than interferon alone.  I think it is well worth trying though no one can tell you that this combination will be effective against your hepatitis C and porphyria cutanea tarda (also called PCT).  I do note for the record that sometimes patients with porphyria cutanea tarda respond well to phlebotomy (bleeding) either before or in combination with medical therapy.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have additional questions or concerns, I invite you to post them back to MedHelp or contact us directly at Henry Ford.  Our direct phone number is  (313) 556-8865.   We have an active group of liver specialists and we have enormous interest in and experience with hepatitis C.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation.  Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.  

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem