Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

lump in throat

I have been diagnosed with gerd and for the past month I feel like my food gets caught at the base of my throat and stay there for 48 hrs then it seems normal again,I take protonix daily for heatburn and has been fine with that but its a very uncomfortable feeling,anyone else experience similar symptoms?
ME ME...I had this read bad.  First I went and got my thyroid checked.  It was fine.  It ended up being my GERD along with anxiety.  I was going through a rough time and it did go away in time.  Chew small pieces and take small pills.  It went away for me!!  Good luck.
Hi:

that sensation of which you describe is referred to as the 'globus sensation' and it is one of the more common complaints associated with GERD ... of course the are a number of other etiologies including infection or inflammation of the throat, nasal passages, tonsils and a host of other things.  If you've been evaluated by an ENT or a Gastorenterologist and they haven't discoved anything, then you shouldn't be worried.

hope this helps,

John W. (RPh)
I'm having this problem now, and I can't stand anything around my neck and am constantly pulling at the neckline of my shirts. My appt. with the gastroenterologist isn't till the end of may but I think I have reflux as I've had burning in my throat most of the time and even burp up bits of food and sour tasting stuff. I eat tums like candy and hope I don't do too much damage to my esophagus...never worried about my heartburn till I started posting on this forum. Just figured it was a side effect of the meds I've been on the last ten years and moreso recently from the cardizem for my heart.
Check out these GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS that I will "cut & paste" onto this page. The globus feeling (lump in throat feeling) usually goes away, when the LPR type of reflux is controlled. Follow the link below to Dr. James A. Koufman's PATIENT INFORMATION SHEET ON REFLUX, also! And read Dr. Murray's book, if you can find it.

I apologize in advance for the lengthiness of this post.

****************************************

GER=Gastro-Esophageal Reflux. (Gastro=stomach. Esophagus=food tube.)

LPR= Laryngeal-Pharyngeal Reflux. (Larynx=voice box, containing the 2 vocal cords. Pharynx=throat, above the larynx. The larynx is above the trachea/windpipe.)

Reflux=acidic or alkaline stomach material that backs up into the esophagus (food tube), causing any of these problems: VCD attacks, cough, voice problems, asthma, globus (feeling of lump in throat), constant need to clear throat, worsening of sinus condition, sore throat, pre-cancerous conditions of throat &/or esophagus, etc.

SOME GER/LPR CONTROL THINGS WE DO, that we learned from the excellent book: STOMACH AILMENTS AND DIGESTIVE DISTURBANCES, by Michael T. Murray, N.D. See page 9, References, in my website: http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com   and, also see GER/LPR info on page 5, and on LINKS page.

PLEASE READ THIS GREAT BOOK. It can be bought on-line, from Michael T. Murray
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem