Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

nausea,pain,heartburn,diarrhea

I have all the same symptoms as user "te971" the question he posted on 05/17/04 relates exactly to my symptoms which have started a week ago and consist bad heartburn(ive had now for two months) that i take nexium for but does not always work, the diarrhea that has me going to the toilet 10 times a day at least for a week now, nausea where i thew up more the first three days, cramps constantly, and now on the sixth day i am having upper abdominal chest pains(on scale 1-10 the pains are a 2) where my gallbladder is located i seen a doctor on day 3 and was diagnosed with a stomach bug and a possible stomach infection. He gave me suppositories for my diarrhea and nausea which should have passed by now according to my doctor.As soon as that passed he wrote me three scripts for my possible stomach infection that i have not started taking yet because the "bug" has not passed... Aciphex(1 tab twice a day-14tabs total)...Amoxicillin(2capsuls-twice a day-28 total)...Clarithromycin (2capsuls-twice a day-28 total).The only difference between me and "te971" is i have not been to the doctor or ran any other    
kinds of tests all i know is alot of water helps and no greasy foods make my symptoms lesson.My question is, what should be my next step?Should i start taking the medication i was prescribed while on a strict diet?Should i go in for any specific test first?i dont have insurance so im trying not to hit and miss too much but i also want to do whats best for my body.
I cannot make specific recommendations without knowing your case personally.  

The nausea should be further evaluated with an upper endoscopy or upper GI series.  These tests can evaluate for GERD, an ulcer or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  

The diarrhea should be further tested with a colonoscopy, which can look for colitis or inflammatory bowel disease.

If the tests remain negative, irritable bowel disease can be more appropriately treated.  Increasing fiber in the diet, antispasmodic agents, or tricyclic antidepressants are all treatment options.  

These options should be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a GI consult.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
A related discussion, is it really a stomach ulcer? was started.
A related discussion, could i have stomach cancer?? was started.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem