Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

pain in upper left ribs/just under left breast

i have this chronic, sharp, stabbing, gripping pain that occurs on and off for a week or so and then goes away for months at a time. it is horrible. it feels like my heart is spasming, although my heart is not located there. if i take a deep breath, it gets worse, and if i lean forward and stay still it is controlled. i have had an ekg and chest xray that were normal. does it sound like a heart problem? i've been told it's anxiety, but i have had it for years even before i had anxiety problems. and it will strike even when i'm not feeling anxious at all. anyone had this??
My father used to get similar pains as far back as 30 years and about 3 years ago, they took his Gall Bladder out in emergency fashion. Now he knows what was bothering him for all those years. Doctors often overlook the Gall Bladder. (My dad had a heart bypass about 20 years ago and a second last year. After the first one his family doctor thought they finally found the culprit. My dad still complained and the doctor wrote it off as if he didn't think my dad knew his body)

Hope you get well soon. God bless.
have you had blood work done while you are having this pain?  it sounds a bit like pancreatitis.  the sitting up and leaning forward and moving my diaphram as little as possible is exactly the way I was when I had pancreatitis.  certain narcotics can make the pain worse, so be careful what you take to relieve your pain.  

take care
a close friend of mine is a nurse. She had left side stabbing pain....never even considered Gallbladder as the pain was on the "wrong" side...turned out she had stones, they took it out and she is fine...
Hello I have been reading your postings about your daugher glad to know that she is doing well since her operation some of her experiences seem similar to mine doctors cant agree whats wrong but I continue to suffer I was wondering did your daugher have any bowel problems constipation etc before her operation.

all the best
my daugher's symptoms were not very consistent. That was one of the less encouraging comments from her surgeon also, hence ordering more tests. He said that it just wasn't consistent gallbladder symptoms..right side pain, x- amount of time after a fatty meal. sometimes she had pain, sometimes she didn't. sometimes she was nauseaus..sometimes she wasn't...sometimes a food would bother her, sometimes it wouldn't... she had occasional diarreah, don't recal her being constipated.

I think that one of the things that happens is that you stop eating a well balanced diet. She ate rice, pasta, plain white bread, white chicken, some baby food fruits & veggies, animal crackers. she would get weak & started to drink Slim Fast with fat free milk. ( don't drink Ensure, as it has a pretty high fat content) the Slim fast kept her energy level up a little better. so, it makes sense that your bowel patterns might change too. Two weeks before surgery, it didn't mater what she ate..she hurt. She had final exams & the pain meds made her too woozy, so she had to just tough it out.

Again...if they are thinking gallbladder, ask for a HIDA scan. It was not a hard test for her & it was the ONLY test she flunked! Twice! i know you are probably sick of tests, but this one measures how well (or if) your GB is working. Be sure to get one with CCK, that will give the doc's an ejection fraction percentage.

good luck!
Thanks for all the info all the best to your daughter it is bad enough having this at my age but to have in your teens must be terrible.

all the best
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem