Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

pancreatitis

Has anyone ever had pancreatitis? I am wondering if I this is what is causing my left side pain under my rib cage.  This appears at any time of day or night and lasts several hours.  The pain feels like I have been running and got a side ache almost under my breast. My doctor has not suggested this, he is trying to ignore my symptoms for some reason.  He found a small liver cyst, 2 weeks ago and then sent me for blood work.  When he called for the results of my bloodwork he said to me "basically your bloodwork is normal"  I'm going to call it normal.  Then he said he wanted to see me in six months for another ultrasound of liver.  In the meantime this side pain persists on a daily basis. So if anyone knows anything about pancreatitis or that has had it, could you please tell me what your symptoms are. Thanks
I doubt it's pancraetitis. Pancreatitis is usually in the middle and goes RIGHT threw to the center of the back. It's usually worse when lying down and it's PAINFUL. I however didn't like what your doc said about the liver cyst and blood work. If that were me......I'd tell him to shove the six months up his *** and MOVE ON to another MD. Get a second opinion. Don't play around or wait around. Second and even third opinions are always BEST!
It's your health.
--Mark
If you had Pancreatitis you would know it!  The pain is normally starts out on your RIGHT side underneath your ribcage.  Eventually the pain will shoot through the middle of your stomach and to your back.  It is the most god awful pain you will ever experience in your life.  In my opinion it was worse than any labor pains I ever experience. Read down farther in this forum.  TazLady has posted many things in regards to Pancreatitis as well as Concerned Lady.  There is alot of information on this subject, you just have to scroll down to find it.  Best of luck to you.
Nanny,

Pancreatitis usually involves more than just left side pain.  The pain for most is in the mid portion of the upper abdomen close to the sternum and it often radiates straight to the back.  Initial pain is frequently soon after ingestion of a meal, but once the pancreas becomes irritated the pain becomes more constant.   Many people feel nausea at the same time, some experience vomiting.  Sometimes there is unexplained weight loss that is due to malabsorption of nutrients that the damaged pancreas cannot properly digest.

The pain and other symtoms are more than an annoying ache.  It is sharp and can be very excrutiating, and can usually only be lessened by the use of powerful pain medications.

In regard to your dissatisfaction with your doctor's response to your bloodwork, and his lackidaisical attitude about looking further into the cause for your pain, I would suggest that you find another doctor!  You need to find a specialist
that will keep on searching and testing until he or she can find the cause of your pain.  Good luck.

Nanny
Thanks everyone for your support.  I thought my doctor's response was weird but what else is new.  It seems you have to have a medical emergency before you ever get any direct answers.  So thanks again, hopefully I'll be able to geett this figured out soon.
I have the exact the same symptoms as you are experiencing.
I had my gallbladder removed in February. Ever since then I
have had the stabbing pain under my tib cage.  I have not gone
back yet to see what it is.  Was hoping it would just go away!
To 3dee:  I had my gallbladder out 6 years ago.  I wonder if it is related?  Do you also have swelling with it?  If yoou ever find out what it is culd you share it with me?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem