This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

rectal bleeding-blood in urine-pain on right side

my sister had a very sharp pain in her right side and she was in the hospital for 11 days and they ran several test and said that it was her appendix they were reversed and they took them out and also removed a couple syst on her ovary. 7 days after being home she is having severe pain in her side again and rectal bleeding and blood in her urine. They did xrays colonoscopy(when they did this they removed a polp), ultrasound, put a camera down her throat, ran die threw her system and have found nothing. We are very frustrated. When her side starts hurting she starts running a tempature gets sick to her stomach and starts spitting up yellow bile. She has a extra uerter tube on one of her kidneys and when she was about 5 they said she would have to have a stint put in and possibly have the extra tube removed will she is in her early 30's. Please any help would be greatful!
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Here are several considerations for flank pain other than kidney stones.  You may want to consider them when you talk to your personal physician.  With her urologic history and the blood in the urine, a consultation with a urologist should be strongly considered if not already done.

Several conditions may mimic renal colic (renal pain):

Bleeding within the kidney can produce clots that lodge temporarily in the ureter. Thus, renal cell carcinoma rarely presents with renal colic.

Pain due to an ectopic pregnancy can occasionally be mistaken for renal colic. The diagnosis is clarified with a pelvic ultrasound or hCG testing.

Patients with an aortic aneurysm are rarely misdiagnosed as having renal colic.

Acute intestinal obstruction may present with colic, but usually not in association with hematuria.

Gynocological causes such as abscesses or ovarian pathology should also be considered.

I strongly suggest following up with your personal physician.

I stress that this answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.

Discussion is closed