Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

reglan and high prolactin levels

My daughter had been taking Reglan for 16 monthe for severe reflux. She developed very irregular periods soon after. I just learned that her prolactin level is 135 (normal range is 3 - 30). Her doctors (family and GE docs) feel this level is too high to be caused by Reglan and want her to have an MRI to rule out a tumor on the pituitary gland. I have read medications such as Reglan usually do not raise prolactin levels to over 100, but levels of up to 275 are possible. Has anyone had any experience with Reglan causing high prolactin levels? I hate to put her through a lot of unnecessary tests only to find out that Reglan was causing the condition.
HI I'M ON REGLAN AND HAD A PROLACTIN LEVEL OF 38 AND IT MAKES MY PEROIDS IRREAGULAR WHEN I FIRST STARTED TAKING IT,BUT AFTER 3 MONTS IT'S SOME WHAT BACK TO NORMAL;SOME MONTHS IT VERY LIGHT.  I ONLY TAKE 20MG A DAY DO TO THE STRONG SIDE EFFECTS OF REGLAND.  MAYBE IF YOU TAKE A LOT OF REGLAN IT MAKES THE PROLACTIN LEVELS HIGH?
Thank you for your reply. It gives me some idea of what others have experienced. I have cut her dosage back to about 10 mg a day (from 20 mg a day) so she is not taking all that much. She is, however, very small for her age so maybe that makes a difference.
A related discussion, high prolactin level was started.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem