Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

severe stomach cramps and gas

I am 26 years old, have been a vegetarian for almost 2 years, have suffered from anorexia in my teens and gave birth to my first child last June.  I don't know if any of these things are related, but I have been suffering from incredibley intense gas pains and abdominal bloating for 2 months now.  Prior to this, I have had on and off IBS attacks with constipation.  I had horrible constipation with my pregnancy and was reduced to using suppositories daily for a few months.  I seem to eat excessive amounts of fiber in my daily diet, but minimizing my intake hasn't seemed to help my symptoms.  They appear every day in teh afternoon and are gone when I am woken up by my growling stomach in the morning.  I am also known for not drinking a lot of liquid during the day, but again, I don't know if any of this is the problem.  Stress seems to aggrivate my symptoms, so I am assuming that I have IBS.  I have an appointment with a doctor coming up but I am hoping that someone can shed some light on this subject, other than telling me to see a doctor.
Possible causes can include the various conditions leading to dyspepsia - specifically, GERD, an ulcer, or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  Liver or gallbladder disease, as well as irritable bowel syndrome can also be considered.

I would consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy as an initial evaluation.  An abdominal ultrasound can be considered to look at the liver or gallbladder.  

More specialized testing can include a 24-hr pH study or gastric emptying scan.  

If the tests continue to be negative, you can consider treatment for irritable bowel syndrome.  This can include antispasmodic agents.  If there is a predominance of constipation, Zelnorm can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Do you now, or have you ever taken depo provera?
What is the significance of taking Depo Provera? Very curious since I did durung an early pregnancy for the the whole time.
I am also curious as to the connection with Depo provera. I did take it for about a year~ this is my story...I just recently found this site. I am a 32 year old female. I had my gallbladder removed about 5 years ago. Then around 4 years ago after my 3rd child, I became violently ill after eating a fish dinner. Vomiting, diarhea with severe cramping, heart palpitations, sweating, weakness, dizzy fainting, I literally wanted to die. At first I thouhgt I had bad fish. But then it happened every day after every meal for a while. I made countless trips to the ER. Other than a heart rate of 130+, there didn't seem to be any thing wrong according to the doctors. It wasn't until one doctor prescribed my Lexapro for mild depression that I started seeing some relief from these horrible symptoms. It has been 4 years now and I have had tons of testing done, including a rather embarrassing thorough examination of my colon. I have been diagnosed with IBS. I have alternating IBS between constipation and diarhea. The medications that I have been given have not worked well for me. They either make me very woozy or give me a feeling of unrealness that I can not handle. The doctors tell me that there is no cure, and I just have to learn to live with it. Luckily for me the anti-depression meds have seemed to help somewhat.My symptoms also seem to be aggravated by stress and anxiety.  But I don't plan on staying on those for the rest of my life. I don't personally know any one else who has this and the people who know me don't understand it. I will not traveloutside my home neighborhood for fear that I will not be near a restroom. I avoid going to restaurants to eat, this seems to bring on attacks as well. If I want food, I normally have to request it to be delivered or pick it up. I feel trapped like a prisoner in my own home. It has had a huge impact on my social life as well as my job. I see things occasionally advertised that can help or "eliminate" the IBS, but of course there are substantial fees involved. My doctor recently prescribed Regaln for me to take prior to my meals. My only concern is that it says it is supposed to aid with contractions of the stomach and small intestine. Well I am trying to avoid the "spasms" that I have now because they are very painful. Has anyone personally taken Reglan? Did it make cramping worse? Any side effects, good or bad? I can only imagine how each of you feel and what you are going through, I will pray for each of you to fell better. I hope that we will put more researcn and funding into finding out what causes and more importantly what cures IBS. It does not seem to be at the top of anyone's priority list. I realize that it is not life threatening, however with such quality of life, what's the point?? Does any one have any good news or positive perspective on this?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem