Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

stomach gas

I am 44yrs old.Six yrs ago i was scoped, and told i had mild gastritis,I was put on prilosec,which worked great for 2 years,the symptoms of excess gas and burping or the need to burp returned. I was put on prevacid and it worked most of the time with only occasional symptoms.now the prevacid does not seem to help as well.My symptoms are upper gas,only occassional slight stomach pains. I can not go to sleep for hours after eating.(gas).I seem to set gas and slight acidy feeling also on a empty stomach.I eat to much,and am about 50 lbs overweight.I did have a stress test 2 yrs ago,and had no problems.What can cause this feeling of needing to belch and belching  thanks
There are several causes of increased gas.  This can include irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, GERD or malabsorption syndromes.

I would suggest an upper endoscopy to evaluate for any of the causesof dyspepsia (i.e. ulcers, GERD or inflammation).  Testing your stool for malabsorption (i.e. fat malabsorption) and serum tests for celiac disease can also be considered.  A test for lactose malabsorption can also be done.  

There are a variety of OTC medications that can control gas - such as Beano, activated charcoal or Simethicone.  These can be used for transient relief while the cause is investigated.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Hello - I will be on vacation until August 9th. I look forward to answering your question when I return.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
do you eat at nite>>
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem