failed sigmoidoscopy

I was having some stomach problems, acid reflux, and then got very constipated, hence the stomach pains.  After giving me a stool softener my doc suggested I have a sigmoidoscopy as I am 53.  The doctor was unable to complete the exam, too painful.  He tried for 30 minutes and every time he tried to get around the 2nd bend I got these bad cramps very low in my pelvic area.  He thought maybe he was pressing against my uterus.  I have a retroverted, tilted backwards, uterus and large fibroids.  He wants me to have a colonoscopy but after this I am afraid.  Any one ever have trouble with sigmoid test ?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
TE
Hey Miss,

My husband had to have a sigmoid a while back.  He survived through it but he was in horrible pain.  I was outside his room and I had him complaining of the pain.  A few months later I had to go in and have a colonscopy.  I felt no pain what so ever from the procedure although the prep was pretty bad but I believe you had to go through the same prep for the sigmoid.  They'll give you medicine to relax you for the colonscopy and you want care or even remember anything about the procedure.  I also have a tilted uterus and encountered no problems whatsoever from the procedure.  Hope this helps.

Tonya
Helpful - 0
Miss,
You shouldn't have any of the same problems with a colonoscopy. The sedation you receive for it is much greater than with a sigmoidoscopy. As TE said, you either won't know or won't care what is going on during the procedure. Most doctors today use a drug called Versed for part of the sedation. This is a great drug. You feel completely asleep without being asleep and the recovery from it is very fast. It is also an amnesiac drug so you will have no memory of what happened. Ask your doctor if he uses this medication. All in all, once you are done with the prep...it is a very simple test. The prep is by far the worst part of it.Good luck.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Failed sigmoidoscopy was started.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem