Disaster Preparedness Community
74 Members

Enoch Choi

Outside of my own interest with this, will state that my husband is a first responder: Police Sergeant. If you had the opportunity to speak to him about Disaster preparation, what concerns/advice would you give him?

I would be happy to print your response and share it with our department.

Thanks much.
~Kate
Absolutely. The biggest problem in a toxic chemical spill/accident or terrorist chemical incident will be contamination of civilian clothing and the refusal of civilians to relenquish the clothing. Currently there is little legislation or preparation for this contingency. In the event of a terroristnincident involving sarin, for example, the shoes cannot (for practical purposes) be decontaminated and must be relenquished and destroyed. Unfortunately the same goes for pants/socks/jackets/wallet. In inclement weather, this means that "Housten, we have a problem". You need the authority and protocol to stop civilians from spreading contamination, and clothing to replace what they take off. Having spray cans of flourescent paint available the "X" mark civilians who have been potentially contaminated by radiation of chemicals would be prudent. As for chemical detectors for nerve agent incidents they are all worthless. The reason is that you have false positives. The department should maintain ordinary rabbits at a central headquarters. Rabbit eyes will respond to sub-lethal quantities of the various military chemical nerve agents positively and accurately. The acetacholinesterase agents affect the third cranial nerve of the rabbit, which pinpoints the pupils. Injectable atropine syrettets should be available, however the amount required to treat a patient with actual agent contact exceeds the federal standards printed everywhere by one hundred times. In other words the Federal emergency treatment protocols are incorrect. It also means that ambulances and emergency rooms will not have enough atropine. Department members should have acetacholine baseline levels established at their annual medical, which is not done anywhere. Bleach is the universal decontaminent in a 5% solution for all existing military nerve agents. Department cars should carry two 2 1/2 gallon ordinary pressurized water extinguishers for decontamination, as well as fire fighting purposes. Hydrant wrenches and a spray cap for hydrants would be helpful. In the event of an actuat terroist incident involving chemical agents your Scott airpacks and level "A" clothing cannot be properly decontaminated, regardless of what the manuals say. Essentially these are "use once items" if exposed to military grade V agent. Thus spares must be available. There must be a ban on all departmental vehicles with air brakes, as well as all air brake equipped vehicles from entering the area. The chemical agent will be sucked into the compressors and discharged back at the station with great loss of life. Potassion iodie is effective in radiation incidents, but do not get the pills. Stockpile bottles of concentrated potassium iodide, and for $35 you will have both the ability to purify a large (thousands of gallons) quantity of water, but to protect ten thousand children. As for rifles, throw away the M-16's and the Rugers. You need M-14's in the civilian version with 20 round mags. The Springfield Armory M1A or the Fulton Armory version, chambered for the 7.62 military Federal Gold Match ammo, and a scope with a BDA mated to the Federal Gold Match. This is the only weapon easily and inexpensively available that can stop a vehicle. Get a synthetic stock for purposes of easy decontamination. Prohibit the use of short sleeved shirts and short pants, and also plastic shoes and polyester shirts. You are going to have a problem decontaminating blue police uniforms because bleach does not do nice things to the color blue. There is more, but the hour is late and I have promises to keep.
Wow, it's way beyond my level of expertise to comment on what you've said.  It scares the bejeebuz out of me just to read about the size of gun you say is needed to stop a vehicle, and that you think i'd need that in a disaster to protect my family.  I was thinking more of a taser.
The information provided was for the woman who stated her husband was a police officer. That being said the 7.61 NATO round is a fine deer rifle and with a scope mated to the cartridge can provide excellent shot groups at 700 meters. The 7.62 NATO ball round is accurate enough and powerful enough to stop an automobile engine or shoot out tires of a truck. With an accurized rifle you reduce the possibility of civilian casualties. Federal Match ammo is only one of the acceptable loads, however Federal has a history of producing rounds that have consistent velocity and performance characteristics. The M1A is in my opinion the finest rifle available to the civilian in the world, although it has design compromises. Some versions have a "grenade launcher" option. While I am not recommending fragmentation grenades this same option enables you to attach a "line throwing" attachment, which can provide you with a way to send a lifeline to someone in the ocean or far out on thin ice. No other rifle has this capability. With a wooden stock, and the magazine removed, it is a "socially acceptable" weapon to carry in the rack of a pick-up truck. An M-16 will brand you as a "nut" in a disaster and attract law enforcement attention. The ability to hunt game humanely at long ranges is one of the nice things to have in the event of a...well you know. Purchasing a case of Federal catridges with the same lot number, purchasing primer sealant and coating the primers, and storing them in a military ammunition box with dissicant will ensure you a twenty year stretch of "peace of mind". Up until recently the DCM (Director of civilian marksmanship) would mail (yes, mail) a semi-automatic 8 shot WW2 M1 Garand at cost to any adult male demonstrating evidence of proficiency and provide ammunition and spare parts for that rifle at cost. Most of the stock have run out, but there are ocasional new releases.
Ooops, sorry. That's 7.62 NATO. A 7.61 round doesn't exist. I get the bad typing award.
Although I have been an NRA pistol instructor with a police department in the ancient past, I do not recommend a pistol as a disaster home defense weapon. There are many inexpensive rifles available, however the M1A is the weapon of choice, in my opinion. Plus, it is fun to shoot and there are national matches available to compete in. All of the 5.56 varieties suffer from a poor cartridge and close tolerances that require close attention to cleaning. My pistol favorite is the stainless steel Ruger Black powder "Old Army", which is not the best or most lethal pistol in the world, but it does shoot black powder, and it is an awful lot of fun.
Somehow this thread took a confusing turn.  Guns? Black powder? Ammo?

Sigh.

Whatever happened to good ol' proper handwashing?  
Good, sound advice even in tranquil times!  One can never have too many Federal cartridges with the same lot number.  Not to mention primer sealant.  

I disagree with the military ammunition box idea though.  I use a big Tupperware container.  Stacks neatly, and is guaranteed for life.  And the lids are interchangeable!  

You left out the fact that they come in designer colors.  
I'm frankly sorry I answered this post. Anyone can do what they want to prepare for worse case contingencies. Having been present during the Newark riots during the 1960's with national guard troops manning M-60 machine guns and witnessing gangs of toughs terrorize the city, I would not state that a civilian maintaining a firearm for personal defense of his family constitutes an unreasonable excercise of his right as a citizen. Nevertheless, I am not going to either encourage or discourage civilian firearm ownership for any purpose. I am long enough in the tooth to have resolved to live the rest of my life peaceably and inoffensively. This forun was created to discuss disaster preparedness and with the many thousands of nuclear warheads floating around, and the unfortunate disintegration of civility, there is an almost certainty of an eventual detonation of a nuclear warhead on United States soil. If you have a residence in an area populated by deer, as I do, then it is not entirely unreasonable to own a rifle to hunt with, in the event of that contingency. It is immature and childish to discourage the provision of information regarding firearms to those who choose that option.
Time is short but I will be back soon. I am not sorry you answered this thread! Thank you and will be talking to you soon.
Defensive measures, including but not limited to firearm ownership/proficiency do have a rightful place in disaster preparedness.

A person does not have to like firearms to recognize that they are a very useful tool in matters of survival.

I would hate to be in a disastrous situation, where civil unrest entered in (or food supply limited)and I was unarmed.
Who on earth says you shouldn't have guns? My husband and I do.  Many, as a matter of fact.

Relax a bit.  Enoch was peaceably talking about bird flu, somehow talk of M-16's and Firearms 101 started.  
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.