Disaster Preparedness Community
74 Members

What to put in my disaster preparation kit

My friend is part of this group that stresses disaster preparedness.  After he talked to me about it, I realized I’m really not prepared at all.  

I’ve decided to get supplies that would be helpful in the case of a natural disaster, or in the event of a terrorist attack or something similar. I know I should purchase canned food, bottled water, blankets, flashlights, first aid kit, etc. What are some other things I should include that I might be missing?

“The only factor becoming scarce in a world of abundance is human attention.” Kevin Kelly
I work as a volunteer in emergency management in my city as an Amateur Radio operator. We do a lot of emergency training and preparation at times. Having a disaster kit is always a good idea.

Some things I have done is to ensure there is a kit in each of my vehicles. A 1-3 day kit is usually good. I also have a large kit for my family at my home that will last for 2 weeks for a family of 5. Also each of my kids have a single kit that they have in their backpacks when they go out. These are pretty small but have the essentials in them.

There are so many ways to make a kit and you can do so without emptying your piggy bank. "Ready.gov" is a great place for you to start looking I think.
Personally I figure a wilderness survival kit is similar and more suited to my needs. Just like extreme back backing, I would think that during and after a disaster I will need my kit as lightweight as possible so it is easy to carry around, especially if i have to run.
My list of contents would include, "first aid skills"

- Iodine Tablets and Bleach for purifying dirty water
- Lightweight water flask for drinking.
- First Aid Kit, such as Gauze dressings, needle, triangle bandage, anti infection creams, tape, ect.
- Pain medications, or medications needed.
- Face mask in case of hazardous pollution
- wind proof weather durable matches, magnesium for fire starting
- thin light waterproof jacket / clothing or a few garbage bags.
- lightweight sleeping bag
- stock up on beef jerkey
- a candle
- knife, binder twine
- phone numbers, important papers, some cash
- optional, lightweight expensive tent. lightweight tents cost a lot, light tarp.

you may need to carry 3 days worth of fresh water, food supplies, a change of correct  clothes, a battery powered radio, extra batteries, i am going to think up a wardrobe for myself during each disaster, for example if it floods I dont want to be wearing huge baggy jeans

* Waterproof bags
* Machete
* Camp Shovel
* M.R.E.'s
* T.P
* knowledge to know how to build a shelter
* a man, or mule who can haul all of this gear :)

In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.