A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members
1522652 tn?1291241954

2lb. 4 oz. Teratoma Tumor

I have a 1yr. 10 mos. old labrador.  Female~ she's been quite healthy, I got her when she was 7 mos. old.  She goes to vet regularly.  Last Tues. night she vomitted and was panting alot, and standing with her head down and her backend turned towards us, really strange she didn't seem to want to look at us, she also turned her nose up at one of her favorite treats.  A visit to her doctor on Wed morning and an abdominal xray, also fever, indicated that she had a uterine infection.  She was given an antibiotic shot, and some oral tabs and sent home. with a return appt. to make sure the infection was clearing.  Friday morning another xray revealed that what they initally thought was infection was still there and no change.  They then began to think it was possibly something in her uterus other than infection.  Decision was made to cut and see what it was.  Appox. an hour later I received a frantic call from her Dr. saying that there was a Huge mass in her abdomen, and it was twisted around everything.  They were not equipped to perform this type of surgery and I had to take her to the NC State Veterinary Of Medicine School in Raleigh, NC.,  rated among the best in the U.S.   They successufully removed a 2 lb. 4 oz. Teratoma Tumor that was growing from her left ovary.  This type of tumor is made up of different types of tissue and begins to develop during fetal development.  Is known as as a birth defect of unknown cause.  I'm very thankful that it was found and treated early, and that it wasn't cancer.  Glad to have her home and recovering nicely, she's a great girl and wonderful friend.     thanks, Melanie& Simone;~)
2 Responses
462827 tn?1333172552
WOW! Thanks for our "GOOD NEWS" story of the day..We don't get too many here!

I'm so glad for you & your girl....Hope she's feeling better by now....Keep up the good work...Take care, Karla
675347 tn?1365464245
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm so glad your girl is doing well. This is very good news. One good thing about those peculiar tumors is that they are basically benign. The only way to deal with them is surgery, but once that's done...bye bye weird tumor!

The presence of such a tumor does not cause long term health issues (or at least I have not heard of that) which is another good thing. Once it's out -it's done. So a really healthy fit person/dog can get one of those and recover to perfect health.

I know because I once upon a time had one of those. When they twist, they can really cause problems. Better out than in!
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child