Dogs Community

Acidifying urine

Jake will be put on a food to acidify his urine (which is loaded with crystals and very alkaline).  

Anyone who has experience with this--can he take vitaminC to help acidify his urine, too?  How much (he's 65 pounds) should he take, if he can take it at all?  Cranberry tablets?  Might they help, too?

Any recipes for treats to make to help with this?  (he can only eat the special food, NO EXTRA TREATS AT ALL).  Someone mentioned there might be recipes you can make that will not interfere with his treatment.

Thanks.
When Alex had this problem we were told not to give him anything else.     I'm not positive  but I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't give vitamin's to dogs.  
I had a Dal who had this yrs ago. It was so bad he needed emergency surgery to remove the blocked stones.

He had to be on a script diet too. But if I remember correctly there were also prescription treats available...I think it was thru Science Diet. But of course this was many yrs ago, I would think they now may have other options.
You should really google "canine urine crystals" there is a wealth of info on the net about it, and what you can do to prevent it in the future.
I would also look in the major pet stores for foods/treats that are made for this. I know I've seen some while perusing those isles.
Of course they are more pricey, as usual. But you might find some recipes online for the crystals.
I believe w/ the crystals that too much protein is a problem.
Good Luck with your baby ; )
I have been googling my heart out.  I haven't found any treats today at Petsmart or Petco that are specifically for this.

The diet is Hills c/d.  

Too much protein, too much phosporus, and too much magnesium.  

There are quite a few conflicting articles about the Hills brand online. Some say the foods by other more premium companies are better, such as Innova and Wellness.

It's so confusing for us owners to know what to do!!

Basically I would research the ingredients that are causes of stones and research ingredients that are good for them and read the ingredients on the specialty treats in the stores, as they do carry many now for special diets. Also I would look online for treats/foods that can be ordered.
Or even research people foods that are used for people w/kidney stones etc..and maybe there is a people food  you can use as a treat instead?
I did that when I had a diabetic baby, I bought him cookies that human diabetics can have. At that time there was basically nothing for dogs w/ diabetes. I also bought a human diabetic cook book and made foods/treats for him with that.
So maybe there are cook books w/ recipes for people who have urinary stones too?

Good luck in your search ; )
Innova and Wellness have prescription foods?   Hills c/d is a prescription food, specifically formulated to make the urine acid, to dissolve stones and help with crystal formation.

Hi there.  This may get alittle long, I just want to make sure that I'm as clear as I can be.  It's been awhile.

Urinary tract disease is associated with the build-up of crystals and stones in the urinary tract that can cause painful and bloody urination and potential blockage in your dog as I'm sure you already know. One type of crystal that forms in a dog’s urinary tract is called struvite.  Hince is why they probably put him on the c/d.

"Prescription Diet® c/d® dog food is formulated specifically to provide nutritional management of dogs with struvite-related urinary tract disease. they have reduced levels of magnesium and phosphorus, and also produces an acid urine pH to aid in the management of struvite crystals and stones."

If you want to make treats for him make them out of your c/d food by putting some in a bowl and let it soak up some water.  Make it into a dough like consistency.  Place the treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at ~300 degrees for about 30 minutes or until they look like cookies that are done.  They won't be as healthy as the fresh food because the food is altered by heat, but I'm sure Jake will not mind.  I have done this for mine.

Urinary Acidifiers:  Struvite stones form in alkaline urine. You would use medications that acidify the urine hoping they will keep the magnesium ammonium phosphate crystals dissolved and prevent them from precipitating out in the urine. Examples of such medications would be ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and dl-methionine. Some of the other less common types of stones actually form in an acidic urine, so with these, you would want to make the urine more alkaline. To counter the activity of urease that is produced by the bacteria, we may also use a compound called acetohydroxamic acid. It prevents urease from breaking the urea down into ammonium and carbon dioxide molecules and this can, in some cases, greatly reduce struvite formation. Remember:

Do NOT give urinary acidifiers when you are using one of the specialty diets that also acidify urine though.  This is very important to know.

Hill's has slightly increased the sodium chloride (normal table salt) to increase water consumption by the animal, thereby increasing a flushing action through the bladder and better keeping the crystals in solution.  You want Jake to drink plenty of fluids to flush out the crystals.  You don't want to add salt though because there is a risk that too much can cause heart and kidney disease issues.  Did they say if they would have to flush his bladder?  

I personally would not give him anything except the c/d for now.  If he get's to much protein or if you acidify his diet to much (which is easy to do) then your going to be in the same boat only with different type stones.

I don't know if this helped or not, just thought I would put in my 2 cents.  Sorry I sorta got carried away.

Take Care;  Amy