Dogs Community

Adequan, Cartrophen or Cortisone Shots for Dogs

Does anyone have any experience with, or heard of, Adequan, Cartrophen or Cortisone shots for the treatment of pain associated with hip dysplasia, osteoarthritis, etc, in dogs?

My English Mastiff has developed osteoarthritis in her right hind leg, and surgery isn't recommended this late in life, and an alternative to oral treatment (and far more effective from what the vet has told us, although MUCH more expensive), is shot treatment. She also has pain associated with (2) TPLO's I had performed on her when she was 1 1/2 years old, and the vet thinks there is correlation between the osteoarthritis development and the TPLO's that were done on here several years back.

He's recommending Adequan, but doing a little research online I've found that there has been success with Cartrophen. The drug isn't readily available here in the United States, and I don't want my vet to jump through fiery hoops trying to get it, unless I know first-hand that it actually works. If anyone has any experience with Cartrophen, I'd greatly appreciate any information, or stories of success/failure.

Thanks in advance MH'ers!

LMNO
No one?

Bueller anyone? Bueller Bueller anyone?
Just talked the the vet.

Cartrophen isn't available commercially in the United States.

Canada, Australia, UK... YES
United States... NO.

He's recommending the Adequan, and we're going in that direction. $88.00 per injection.

Twice a week for the first month ($704). Then once a week the next month ($352). Then every other week for a month ($176). Then down to once a month, for the rest of her life ($88). That's $1232 worth of 'loading dose' for those less inclined to whip out a calculator.

She's 5.5 years old, and past mid-life for a dog her size (200lbs), and we just want her to have as good a quality of life as possible for the next several years (or as long as she lives).

ANYTHING FOR THE DOGS!
Your dog is a VERY lucky dog to have you for an owner, I'm sure, though, that she tries in her own way to repay you as much as possible.  Godd Luck.
This is great info!  I may look into this for my elderly APBT.  Thanks for sharing and good luck!
I have used the Adequen Injections once for a dog with Hip Problems......Yes, I saw remarkable improvement.....Then I found out that the injections were done incorrectly.....Still, remarkable improvement......So Yes, I'd go with it!  

Please, keep us updated.......It seems so many have Disk Disease, Arthritis, Hip Dysplasia, etc. We need to keep ontop of newer treatments.......Karla

P.S. After reading this: You ROCK, too!   :)    Thanks for the compliment........
We're fortunate that she's allowed us to be a part of her pack. She's the alpha in the house (of 6 dogs), and although my wife and I trump her, we play along and let her rule the roost. She knows we're really in charge and submits to us both, but when it's just the 6 girls, it's all hands on deck and she's QBIC (Queen B*tch In Charge).

We're going the Adequan route, although our bank-account isn't looking forward to the first 2 months!

Thanks to all for your feedback. You've helped me tremendously.

Cheers.

LMNO