Dogs Community

Cataracts in my Yorkies Eye :(

Hi guys,
My yorkie is turning 4 tomorrow(yay!) but when I got home from school today I noticed that one of his eyes looked cloudy. At first I thought it was just the dim lighting, but upon close inspection I noticed that the pupil of one of his eyes was black (as always) while the other a cloudy white. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I would like to know if anyone knows of any remedies or cures for cataracts asides from surgery. So that I am able to ask vet about them tomorrow. D; Thanks In Advance!!
Welcome......Some young dogs do get Juvenile Cataracts that are best to be removed....I don't know of any remedy or cures for cataracts....

There are also diseases that cause certain types of cataracts such as Diabetes...Your Vet will need to do blood work to rule this out.....

Cushings Disease is possible, but your dog seems too young...

That leaves me with an eye infection.....I HAVE seen what appeared to be a cloudy cataract in one eye (Of a young dog) that ended up being a severe eye infection.....

Once it was treated with antibiotics for a couple of weeks, it returned to normal....So, hopefully that's what your guy is dealing with...

Let us know what the Vet says & good luck, Karla
As someone who just went through cataract surgery, that is pretty much the only thing you can do.

However, my dog also developed mineral/cholesterol deposits in the center of her eyes many years ago.  These are largely harmless.  The vet will know what you are dealing with.  

Good luck and keep us posted!