Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members

Coughing up foam

I currently live in a country where no vets are available.  My English Bully gets up in the morning and forces up clear foamy substance.  He does not do this throughout the day, only first thing in the morning.  He was vet checked one month ago, up-to-date on also shots and is on comfortis for the past year.  Its not like her is vomiting, its like gagging it up.  Any suggestions, help????
3 Responses
441382 tn?1452814169
She could have something called bilious vomiting syndrome.  Even though it's called bilious vomiting syndrome, it's not an actual vomiting that brings up the foam, it's a gagging cough.  This happens in some dogs when they first wake up, the stomach is empty from not eating all night and there is a buildup of acid.  You can try an experiment to see if this is what it is - try feeding your dog a small snack late at night or, if you wake up during the night, give her a cookie or two.  If it stops happening when she eats something during the night, then all you have to do to control it is make sure she doesn't go longer than a couple of hours without something in her stomach to absorb the acid.

Ghilly
Thanks for the advice!  Tried it last night and so far so good.  I will continue with some treats before bed each night to make sure.  Once again the advice is so appreciated!
441382 tn?1452814169
You are more than welcome!  :)

Ghilly
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.