We noticed our 14 year dog was starting to sit very slowly but he could get up with no problems he would go for long walks every day, by his choice we tried to give him shorter walks because of his age but when we tried turning back we would put brakes on it and not move making it almost impossible for us to tun around, he was a strong 85 lbs dog. At that point of his life he basically told us where he wanted to go on his walk, he guided us. One day about a week and a half ago we noticed he was having a harder time sitting down, and was walking really slow and could not run after his toys, his favorite play. The next day he went back to normal, walking better, playing eating, we still noticed we was siting very slowly, so we made a vet appointment for the next week. Last Sunday we noticed he was walking very slow again, very low energy and not running after his toys, on Monday he basically could not walk, he refused to drink and eat, even when we tried giving him chicken his favorite, he just looked the other way. We decided to take him to hospital, he was such in bad shape, we had to carry him on my 5 year old stroller to the car, because he wasn't walking and he had to be carried out of the car on a stretcher to the hospital. They did X-rays and blood tests and found a huge tumor on his stomach, possibly kidney problems, his heart was only up to 80% to the regular size it should be, he was also really dehydrated, the vet said his body was in shock. The vet said he had to be hospitalized for at least 2 days to get fluids and take an ultrasound to see if they could operate or not and handed us a bill for 3000 if we were going to to that, there was also too many guarantees if he was going to live even if he could have surgery because of his age. My husband and I did not have 3000 to leave him at the hospital and that was just to find out if they could operate or not we didn't even know how much more would be for the surgery. We asked if there was anything we could do from home, the vet said he could give him some antibiotics and some fluid but was really concerned about the over night at home, and the medication was just to buy time, to prevent the condition from getting worse, he said he was in really bad shape, at that point my husband looked at me and said I am not taking him home to just suffer, I think we have no option besides to put him down, we asked the vet if in that case that would be the most humane thing to do, he said that needed to be our decision but it was one of the options. My husband and I fought and cried and cried and fought, I wanted to take him home, he didn't think was fair for Mr. Bobo, at the end we put him down. I am still struggling with the decision, I feel like I just gave up on my dog when he needed me the most. My husband and are still fighting about I resent him being there with me, because I think if was there by myself I would had not put my dog down, I know we didn't have the money to treat him, but maybe I could had made his last days more comfortable or maybe we could had tried to take on a credit card or a loan to save him? I don't Know, I just know that having all of those maybes in your head after the fact it's a horrible feeling. I still have to be strong because I have a 5 year old that doesn't really understand what's going on, just this this best buddy is gone. I am not looking for sympathy here, but maybe if someone else has gone through a similar experience, I would love to hear from you. And so just to be clear my husband and I both work full time, but unfortunately still leave paycheck to paycheck, it's not that we chose not to spend the money, we simply didn't have it.