Dog's health

My dog just ate about a half of rat body. But he vomit it out after a few second. Will my dog be just fine? Please help me. Please....
Best Answer
The affect on your dog depends on what the rat ate, if poison that could be a problem.  The fact your dog regurgitated means some, maybe most of the rat was discharged from the dog's system.  

Do you know if the rat was dead when the dog found it, or did the dog capture and kill the rat? If the rat was already dead, then the concern about what killed the rat is most important.

I believe the rat poisons used in the USA are rather fast, and cause internal bleeding. So, it your dog is doing well that is a good indication that he did not ingest anything bad.  Still he "threw it up" must be a reason.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
His stool became normal now. He is being fine. I think he will be okay. I already done some research of all the disease that may infected him. But none of the symptom is occur right now. (Last sunday i was bitten by him on my lips) so, if there is some disease in my dog, i'm gonna dead soon...
Helpful - 0
Check his stool for worms.
Helpful - 0
Have you taken your dog to a vet? If not, why not? This could be serious, so please get your dog checked out straight away. Tony
Helpful - 0
My dog losing weight. His stool became soft+liquid. Do you have any idea of what it could be? Is it some kind of disease?
Helpful - 0
He is still eat and drinking now. The cat is seems to be fine. But he is losing weight.

Helpful - 0
There are six main diseases dogs can catch from rats. Most of these present serious health risks to dogs, and all are potentially fatal if passed on to humans. For these reasons dogs should be kept out of contact with rats as much as possible. The main concerns are: Leptospirosis, Rat Bite Fever, Tularaemia, Bubonic Plague (dogs don't show any symptoms but can carry and pass-on the Yersinia pestis bacteria), Salmonellosis and much more commonly ... Rabies. You should have your vet check on all these serious illnesses and ensure vaccinations are up-to-date to help protect against them.
Helpful - 0
How is the cat?  If the cat is fine that would seem to eliminate poison. I would call your vet if your dog is showing symptoms of anything. Is your dog still eating and drinking? Any vomiting or gastro distress?
Helpful - 0
Maybe we have the same kind of dog. Jerry, he is weak now.... :(. I'm about to cry...
Helpful - 0
The passage of time and the dogs continued good  health is proof to me that he is not in danger from the rat-snack-rejections.

What kind of dog is he?  We have a West Highlands White Terrier (Westie) that is also a picky eater.  I have posted on this community asking for advice on dog treats and food. Unlike any other dog I have ever known, our Westie will reject most dog "treats" and even some table scraps (which I shouldn't give him anyway).  The Westie breed is known to be sensitive to many foods (he gets grain free kibble as his basic food) and will break out in skin problems, Yeast/Democritus problems - he is always bathed in a medicated antibacterial shampoo.  

Sorry if I ramble too much, but it is fun to talk about dogs.
Helpful - 0
Actually he ate it after my cat ate a half of it's body. I saw the half of the rat's body though. The rat's fur was definitely fresh. My dog is a picky dog. He usually don't eat dog's biscuit. So sometimes it is really hard to feed him.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dogs Community