A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members
1388999 tn?1370046414

Good pain management

Hi every one I'm so glad to see this very helpful and crucial forum is still going strong.I have been having some chronic neurological back pain problems for the last few months but after trying a lot of different  combinations of pain medications I think we have got it under control at last.

Now have the same problem with my darling 10 yo Golden Shane he is on Metacam which keeps him on his feet but still limping badly in one back leg,its arthritis so surgery is not an option I have tried various other medication like Cosaquin with the Metacam and Shark Cartilage powder but hasn't helped a bit,

My pain is now under control with OxyContin and the antidepressant Endep which has been proven to help with Neurological pain.

My question is if they can help me surely there is something out there that can do the same for my my best friend Shane ! any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated as it breaks my heart to see him battle with this pain.
2 Responses
82861 tn?1333457511
While pain in dogs can be treated with narcotics, it's not often that it's used for chronic pain situations outside an inpatient setting that can be closely monitored.  I suspect part of the reason is diversion: too many people take the meds meant for their dogs.  

There are several NSAIDS to try that are safe for dogs.  Deramaxx is a cox-II inhibitor like human Celebrex that worked the best for my dogs with osteoarthritis and one with hip dysplasia. Rimadyl is cheaper and worked fine for early symptoms but once they reached 10 or 11 years of age it just wasn't as effective.  Tramadol (Ultram) is a pseudo-narcotic that can be used for pain in dogs.  It's mild enough that most vets don't have a problem dispensing it for home use. You won't know until you ask your vet.

Preparations like shark cartilage and cosaquin are best used as preventives for joint health rather than for the treatment of pain.  If they aren't helping, save your money for the more effective meds available from your vet.  I know how hard it is to see our dogs deal with the pain of aging.  Still, they handle it far better than we humans do.  I always admired my dogs for the way they carried on in the face of adversity and still enjoyed life.  :-)
675347 tn?1365464245
COMMUNITY LEADER
Seeana, it's so nice to see you back again. I hope you had a happy and peaceful Christmas (where it's summer there down-under!)

I wish you all the best for the New Year.
Unfortunately I have very limited knowledge of pain relief medications either for humans or dogs. But as far as I know, an anti-inflammatory NSAID drug would probably be a good choice, for your Shane. Medication that helps to relieve associated inflammation would probably be better than just relief of pain in itself.
The best idea would be to have a good talk to your vet about the options.

Just out of interest (and this is most likely not of any help to him) but it is just as possible to do successful joint-replacement surgery on dogs as it is on humans! It might be interesting to investigate this....
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child