Dogs Community

HAS ANYONE HAD A DOG REACTION BAD TO ROUTINE SHOTS???

HAS YOUR DOG HAD A REACTION TO ROUTINE INJECTIONS???
I BELIEVE NOW I FOUND THE SOURCE OF MY CHI'S PROBLEM, BUT NOW SHES GOT RUNNING BOWELS/BLOOD, AFTER GOIN THRU ALL THE VETS STUFF OF EXAMINING STATING SHE PROBABLY HAS CUSHING DISEASE, MY DOG WENT INTO CONVULSIONS WITHIN A MINUTE OF HER SHOTS, RAPID, BREATHING, DARK RED GUMS AND TONGUE, AGAIN A 2ND CONVULSION OR SEIZURE, AND NOW HER BOWELS, SHES NOT THE SAME...ALL SECONDS AFTER HER SHOTS..
SHES NEVER BEEN SICK OR SYMPTOMATIC BEFORE...
Yes, I have heard of bad reactions to shots.  I know that there are people who refuse to get the routine injections because of this.  I am sorry your dog is not feeling well.  I hope that she is feeling and getting better.
I'm so sorry to hear about what your dog and you have had to endure.

I've heard of it. Our Siberian husky has to take Benadryl  (an antihistimine?) as a preventive to side-effects before and after her vaccinations and the vaccinations have to be split up so she can tolerate them.  Last year she developed diarrhea from her vaccinations.

Dogs usually have an allergic reaction within 20 minutes after the shot. Has your dog ever had an allergic reaction to vaccinations before?  If so, is your vet aware  of it?

Am not clear - does your dog have Cushings or was it the vaccinations that made her so sick.

We have an Akita and most of the other "Akita people" I know do not recommend shots every year for their dogs.  Have you spoken to other "chihuahua people" (owners) about their experiences.  Sometimes they know more than the vet - owners don't make money  treating dogs, vets do - even the good ones.

Hope your dog is alright.

lonewolf

my jack had all his shots on jan 9th 2016 2 weeks later died laying next to me. all the symtoms of too many shots at once and bad side effects. vomiting then eventualluy vomiting only water lethargic , excessive urinating, drinking, diarrhea, seemed depressed just thought he had a bugcalle vet on Monday for apt tues nite he died Tuesday morning. only 6 most gentle baby. did not of the vaccination thing, vet did not even say maybe we should do the shots sporadically. told her he was drinking a little too much but she did not seem to care then it got worse my husband is disabled  and Jack was his love thankfully we have a puggle to keep him company wont be going back to that new vet again
I assumed after reading every symptom of my chi, it must have been reaction to shot.
Got second and third vet opinion, third vet said, she acts like cushings.
I am about to go nuts here..
Facts: took my 5 chi's to vet for routine injections 5/14
within 1 min my chi went into convulsions (no prior reactions or seizures/convulsions)
they grabb her gave her additional shot, she looked sedated, they kept for 4 hrs.
#1 Vet said, could be shot reaction, or stress from coming to vet, or she has a hernia and vet said she pushed on it quite hard so could be pain
Next day chi is not in good shape, called #1 Vet to schedule her for hernia surgery thinking shes in pain and requested pain med for her, #1 Vet said, shes busy for next 2 days, take her to another vet or hosp which opens in 4 hours. that pissed me off!!!
#2 vet saw her, she had another convulsion/seizure, he said, she could have seizures
or just be in pain, prescribed tramadol 7rimadyl for 1-2 weeks, see if pain meds stop seizures, or she just stress at vets.
Next day, shes panting, breathing hard, tears in eyes, I know shes going to die, you could tell the stress on her.  Cld #2 Vet, hes out, assoicate in.
#3 Vet said, her blood has some one point high elevations, dogs always pant when excited at vets, is my house hot, I have 4 others chi's no one panting, house cold,
so he gave her ativan shot, she would not relax, he was shocked cause he said, he gave her enough med in shot to put down 25lbs, shes 7lbs, hes beleives shes got cushings.
I made him xray her heart, no enlargement, trachea has very skinny area, thats why breathing difficult. and take her home.
Had she not got the ativan shot to calm the breathing she would have died.
Now she has extreme bloody, stinching, mucos, running bowels for 3 days, she still delicate, doesn't move around alot, and not my dog...
I stopped the rimadyl/tramodol, started her on soft dog food, cottage cheese, pectin, amoxiciliian i had yesterday, waiting to see stool today, shes very delicate..
after shot her symptoms: convulsions within one min
vomiting, very high fever, red red gums and tongue, legarthic, panting, breathing rapid,
and now her bowels w/stinch loose. She does eat when hand feed and drink.
So thats what the deal is, cushing or shot anaplaysia reaction...what you thing?
Have a nice day, and hug your dearest friend, for we never know if today will be the last!!!
It sounds like all those vets are making your dog sick.

If she had a severe reaction to her vaccinations so quickly and has no history of seizures then it sounds like she is allergic to the vaccinations.  If she has Cushings, being vaccinated could make her allergy even more severe.  Our Siberian husky had an upper respiratory infection when she was a puppy and the vet authorized her vaccination in spite of this.  She was extremely ill and they thought she wouldn't make it but she did. That's why I would guess that your dog might have both BUT I personally would never let her have anymore vaccinations without (1) giving her antihistimes before and after the injections and  (2) to split them up so she doesn't get the whole dose at once.  That's what we do with our husky.

If she eats and drinks if you give it to her by hand, that's a good thing.  She isn't giving up.  Dogs tend to hide their pain but your dog can't help showing hers.

Is she still panting and feverish?  Maybe you should consider taking her back to the vet you trusted most.  If you feel that it might traumatize her too much, dogs can take aspirin (not Tylenol) and that might help with the fever.

This isn't "scientific" but IMHO your dog needs a lot of love and caring after everything she's been through.  She also needs veterinary care from a competent vet.  Right now, she needs you and it sure does sound like you've been there giving her everything she wants and needs.

Please know that you can post here as often as you want.  We'd like to see how your "girl" is doing.

Hugs and good thoughts to both of you ....

lonewolf and Miss Puff, the allergic to vaccinations husky

We might just make it, Thank God for my prayers, I gave amoxicillin and pectin last night on my own, and today, we are eating very good, shes stimulated enough to walk, we even walked outside to pee...Oh, my gosh, I have held her, caress, love, keep her calm, talk, its crazy, for days I tried to keep her alive w/me...and I am so proud today, not sure about any damage or relapse could happen...
She will never get another rabie or vaccination period, ever, ever in her lifetime. I live in TX and thats the law, not for the lil Chi, she stays inside in the bed away from people and other creatures,,,,and shes not a bitter...
Thank you so much, this site has actually been my life support while having a crisis, that non dog lovers do not understand how critical it is for us during the duress of our pets, I feel so much more relieve just talking about my issues and offering support for others, so again, thank you for all your support and the welcome wagon!!!
Give a hug to your pet from me!!
I am soooo glad to hear your chi is doing better.  You and the prayers of everyone who loves and cares about you and your chi have really helped her desire to live.  It's the law here too about vaccinations = (

Please do stay in contact.  You have so much to offer to those of us who have dogs - sorry -  "four legged family members".

Big tail wags, licks and drool from:  NumberNine, Miss Puff, Rawhide and Hoss

lonewolf