Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
12744979 tn?1427028783

Ingrown Toenail For a dog

My dog has a ingrown toenail. Is there anything I can do for her because it is causing discomfort and we cant take her to the vet we don't have enough money. Please leave some ideas or treatments.
5 Responses
Has the nail curled around and grown into the foot or is it the width at the base of the nail growing wider?
974371 tn?1424653129
Which nail is it?
974371 tn?1424653129
A groomer "may" be able to help you.  If you have a PetsMart near you, they usually have groomers that can maybe take a look at it.  If it is too bad or infected, you would probably need a Vet.  Make sure all nails are kept cut short.
Try soaking the foot in some warm Epsom salts and water a couple of times a day.
If it is from the nail being too long and growing into the foot, it needs to.be cut and removed. But you will beed antibiotics depending on how deep/how long the nails been in the foot.
974371 tn?1424653129
That's why I asked suspecting it is a dew claw.
Neighbor of mine came down once asking me to check her Shih Tzu as it was limping on a back leg.  That is what I found, the dew claw growing back into the pad.  She didn't even know the dog had nails there.  Got my whelming stuff out and was able to get under it and cut the thing.  Told her to soak it.  Yes, she had antibiotics at home.  
Ready for this?  Her husband was a doctor and refused to let her take the dog to the Vet!!  
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dogs Community

Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.