Dogs Community

Japanese Chin not eating

Can any help please.  My elderly parents have 2 Japanese Chins and unfortunately we had to have one put to sleep yesterday.  She had not been eating so the vet thought it was her teeth, she then had the back ones removed.  She still was not eating so it was put down to tender gums with having her teeth out.  The vet then did various x-rays, a barium meal and an ultrasound but still nothing showed up.  She was still not eating and was vomiting what looked like water.  The vet is at a loss as to what caused this.  There has been no disruption to routines or major changes in food, the other dog and the cat are both fine. She wanted to eat but when you fed her she walked away. It seems like she was just refusing food altogether.  Has anyone any clues as to what this could have been as my dad is worried sick about the other dog.  Thanks
Sorry to hear this and it must be worrying your parents sick.  So sorry you had to have one put to sleep.  It would be hard to guess what might have been going on. Did the Vet run any blood work to check for kidney/liver/pancreas problems?  Just no way to give a definitive answer to this.  How old was the dog?
She was 9 and the vet run every test imaginable.  She just stopped eating and was wasting away in front of us.
Oh, that's too bad. Sometimes we just don't know the answers and without a necropsy being done,no way to tell. I would *suspect* a possible cancer going on.  Sorry.  :-(
Hi I have a chin who I'd a little over a year old and he is doing similar. He won't eat and now sounds like he is coughing anytime he moves or lays down. Almost sounds like bronchitis. Did you ever get an answer ?