Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.4k Members

Lethargic but eating/drinking

My 6 year old German shepherd has been lethargic for 4 days. He also seemed to have congestion and discharge from his nose. I took him to the vet 2 days ago, and had xrays, blood work and an ultrasound done. Everything was fine, expect for the blood test indicated his platelets were low. He has been on antibiotics and a steroid for 1.5 days. He has been eating and drinking the last two days.  He has always been a  low-energy dog, but he showing no interest in anything and is still lethargic and weak. Any ideas? Thank you!
1 Responses
441382 tn?1452810569
I would call your vet back in the morning and let them know that even though he is eating and drinking he is still very lethargic and not showing any interest in anything.   He may want to switch the medication or add something to it, although for him to be on antibiotics and a steroid for only 1.5 days and for him to not show a tremendous improvement is not surprising, since it could take a couple more days for the medicines to make a difference.  Depending on what he has, it could be as long as 4 or 5 days before you see a real improvement, but since your vet diagnosed him, leave that call up to your vet.  

Still, call the vet in the morning and ask them how long it should be until you see a marked improvement in his behavior, that way you will know how long you should let it progress before you need to worry and take him back to the clinic.

Ghilly
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.