Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members

Lump on a 1 month old puppy that burst after several days

Is this contagious is the puppy in danger?
2 Responses
974371 tn?1424656729
This may be a cyst or infection of some sort.  There is no way to tell you what this might be.  I doubt it is contagious but, if it does not look better, you should have it checked by your Vet.
675347 tn?1365464245
COMMUNITY LEADER
As Margot said, it may be a cyst or abscess. I don't know where you live, or what diseases are present in your area, but if it is a cyst or abscess, then it isn't contagious. But do be careful to wash your hands with hot water and soap after handling it ir bathing the wound, etc, as sometimes infections like this can cause stomach upsets, if the bacteria are transferred to your mouth or food etc.

At one month, he is really young and tough in his little way...yet also very vulnerable. So you want to be sure the infection has cleared properly and as quickly as possible, so it won't spread to his system. If it does, because of his age it could drag him down very quickly and even possibly kill him.

Some abscesses can burst, and then start to heal over again, and we can think they are okay now, and gone. But there are some with what is called a 'sinus' from deeper in the tissues, where there can be a deeper level infection which hasn't cleared.

So I think it is best to get him checked by a vet to be on the safe side.
It might be that he will need an antibiotic to be sure it has cleared up. Ask the vet.
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.