Dogs Community

My dalmation suffered with a possible stroke

I woke up this morning at 6am and came downstairs to find my 12 year old dalmation suffering from some sort of stroke or seizure. She couldnt stand and was in real discomfort, her eyes moving very fast  from side to side.After ringing vet after vet i got in touch with some one 45mins away and was told to take her to the Animal Hospital. When i arrived and the vet done several checks she told me it was not good news and the best option was to have her put to sleep. I questioned the vet as to what may have happened but could not get a specific answer, she told me there was no other option. I am absolutely gutted and have lost my best friend, i feel so empty. Is there any more information that you can give to me to clarify
I know nothing on this subject, but I do know your vet is a professional. Strokes in dogs are not uncommon they have happened and vets all over have found reasons why they happen. I feel like your vet telling you she couldn't come up with an answer is highly unacceptable. I would ahve contacted either another vet or multiple other vets and got their opinion.
I too would have gotten another opinion.  When a vet can not give you an answer then go to another.  I am not suggesting to keep going until you find someone to give you the answer you might want to hear...but get someone to tell you what might be going on.
Tara, I'm so sorry for your loss......I know it's awful!!! Been there!  Here's what I feel your girl had going on......I wish your Vet would have explained, "It was not good news!" That wasn't explanation enough for any client & too vague of an answer!   I also think she dropped the ball on this and I'm not sure that I would leave it alone......Take care & I'll be thinking about you......Karla

Encyclopedia of Canine Veterinary Medical Information

Vestibular Syndrome

There is a syndrome, variously referred to as peripheral vestibular syndrome (the current "preferred name"), geriatric vestibular syndrome and idiopathic vestibular syndrome. This disorder is more common in older dogs and thus the name geriatric vestibular syndrome -- but it can occur in middle aged dogs, too, so the name was changed. Idiopathic just means "happens for no known cause" -- so it is a good name but not the preferred one. It does sum up the situation well, though. For some reason dogs can suddenly develop vestibular disease. The problem seems to be due to inflammation in the nerves connecting the inner ear to the cerebellum (which controls balance and spatial orientation). It usually lasts between a couple of days and three weeks. A few dogs have residual signs beyond this time, such as a head tilt. This disease normally affects dogs that seem normal up until the signs appear. Then there is sudden loss of balance with many dogs unable to even stand up. Rythmic eye motion known as nystagmus is usually present. Dogs may be nauseous from the "sea sickness" effect of vestibular disease. Most dogs will not eat or drink unless hand fed or given water by hand because they have a hard time with the fine motor movements necessary to eat or drink from a bowl. As long as they are nursed through this condition almost all dogs will recover. There is no known treatment. Some dogs do have relapses but most do not.

Peripheral vestibular disease can be confused with anything that will cause cerebellar damage or inner ear disease. Inner ear infections are probably the most common cause of similar symptoms and if recovery does not progress satisfactorily it is a good idea to do whatever testing seems necessary to rule out inner ear problems, such as ear examination and X-rays. Cancer affecting the cerebellum, the peripheral nerves to the cerebellum or the inner ear can cause similar signs. In golden retrievers lymphoma is a common cancer problem that can cause CNS signs. Trauma is a possible problem that could be confused with peripheral vestibular syndrome if brain damage occurs. Granulometous meningoencephalitis (GME). Infarcts (blood clotting leading to lack of circulation in part of the brain) occur in some dogs. If the damage to the brain is minimal then recovery may occur quickly. If the damage is severe, recovery may not occur at all. I do not know the incidence of infarcts affecting the brain in dogs but I think it is pretty low.

Even when dogs do not recover fully from peripheral vestibular syndrome they normally have a good life. They adjust to residual problems like head tilts and do not seem all that bothered by them. If progress towards recovery is not evident, then the other disorders mentioned above need to be considered

COMMUNITY LEADER
I am so very sorry you lost your girl. And so fast, you didn't have time to prepare yourself emotionally for her passing.

It was rather vague of your vet not to give you a concrete and full explanation, maybe even showing you the test results/scan results, etc, and discussing them with you fully, so you understood.
Yet it is highly probable the vet DID see something irreversible, or -if not life-threatening exactly, then maybe pointing to a future of permanent diablement? Or further testing and possible suffering on the part of your dog? Or even perhaps, that your dog's general fitness wasn't so good, and this added problem could have put too much strain on her for a contented life....
It's just possible.
The problem was the lack of communication. There was no excuse for that.

Anyway, please don't blame yourself in any way. The vet gave her professional opinion -and must have had good reasons. Don't ever feel guilty that you might not have done the right thing here.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm sorry I meant to write "disablement". My typing is getting terrible.