Dogs Community
10.3k Members
594071 tn?1241954397

My dog has a tumor and i really need advice im devastated


I found a tumor last saturday on my dogs rectum, he is a 14yr old springer spaniel cross lab, it is the size of a walnut the vet decided not to do anything because of his age but did give him liquid parafin to help him go poops as he was constipated quite badly, he also has a huge tumor on his right shoulder and a huge swelling on his right back leg, he is still eating, drinking, wagging his tail etc... and doesnt seem to be in pain but this morning i felt his rectal tumor and it was red hot to touch and i was wondering if maybe it could possibly be an infection rather than a tumor or is it normal for a tumor to feel hot? I would be grateful for any advice as i am so worried i love him so much and im quite scared about whats going to happen now

15 Responses
510626 tn?1219509169
Hi there,

Not a vet but do work with horses and canines.
I can understand your vets decision somewhat but why no biopsies?
Were scans done to see if these lumps are in the intestines..gastro..as well?
any xrays or scans done at all?
I ask, because perhaps the constipation could be caused by that or that the growth on the rectum may be painful upon evacuation.
The growths may be other things going on as well.
I would seek out other vets for opinions.
Some breeds such as labs are prone to fatty tumors/growths under the skin from all I have read and what the vets and breed experts say.
675347 tn?1365464245
Yes that thought did cross my mind too, and wonder if the vet is 'giving up too easily' because of your dog's age.
Cancerous tumors do have a blood supply, so would not be cool, but...red-hot? I don't know. Very hot could signify some kind of infection, such as an abscess, but if that were the case, it would surely be painful(?) Lipomas, or fatty tumors are not usually red hot. I know, because my dog has a couple, and has had them for years, harmlessly.

I agree that it might be a good idea to get a second opinion. However it could be that whatever the cause of this, and the other tumors or swellings, your vet may know, for instance, that your dog would not respond well to anaesthetic to remove things. ? That may be the reason for his reluctance to do anything.
But without firm evidence of such risks (ie blood tests to determine your dog's general condition, and knowing how his vital organs are functioning) -or a biopsy of the lump, the vet's suggestion to do nothing at all does seem odd. It seems he is deciding what to do, or not do, without the full facts.
594071 tn?1241954397
Hi again,

Well guess what... that was my second opinion the first vet i went too was quite rude she basically told me she wouldnt dream of doing any tests on him as it wouldnt be fair as he is far to old and wouldnt make it through any ops so there would be no point and the second one said pretty much the same thing as the first one, she said because he is eating, drinking wagging his tail etc.... she said it would be best to leave him alone.

He has been poops now but not the way i thought it would happen with liquid parrafin, i thought he would be loose but its only made him go for a normal one but at least he is going now.

I think i should def get the vet to check his lump again just in case it is an abcess thank you for your advice it has really helped me loads
675347 tn?1365464245
The vet has no right to be rude to you. You are trying to do the best for your dog.
Although I agree that sometimes (if an older dog has general health problems, or is frail in some way) surgery can be too traumatic...at the same time I do not agree with kind of 'giving up on a dog's treatment' because it is getting on in years. Depending on breed, and overall condition, a lot of older dogs do very well with many surgical interventions.

This couldn't be an anal gland abscess, could it? Or an anal gland which badly needs draining?
1048228 tn?1254109674
Haidee, your last posting was on May 10th – Do you still have your dog? I have that and one other question for anyone to help me with please? When can I tell that the best for my dog is to help her die?
That is such a heavy burden to bear, but I don't want her to suffer

My dog MaggieSue is 15 yrs. I noticed she had blood in her urine, I am not hardly working now and the Vets office would not accept a partial payment,  but I made allowances (AT&T can wait!) and got her into see the vet right away. That was about 2 mos. ago.
They ran a test - I think it was the ultra scan, he said she had 2 in-operable tumors... and would I like him to put her down today?
I was devastated! My dog has been my very best friend and companion, we live alone and just the way it was sort of said all in the same breath - as if it were nothing. Well it is Nothing for them, they do it everyday, I will not bring her back there despite the fact that their office has been her vet since 1994. They helped her through when she was hit by a car, I should have known then, it's an Emergence Vet Hosp as well. The vet that Sunday night said, "Do you want us to try and save her"?  I am standing there with her bleeding in my arms, why else would I have come there?
Sorry, for all that but I am showing that in the Vet's mind it's probably just another day at the office.
I did ask for copies of her ultra scan, since I paid for them, and they were hesitant in giving them, I don't know why.? He sent us home with a small prescription of antibiotics to help with inflammation and some pain pills. Only enough pills for less than 2 wk. I cut all of them in half and only gave her the pain pills when she seemed to be in some pain (hard to tell) I used them at night to help her sleep too...
when the drugs ran out I was expected to bring her back to do the deed? Now I'm afraid to bring her back. I couldn't even drive home I was crying so bad. I am now just thinking back!
I have been preparing for the inevitable, I know that she is really old and she isn't a small dog... some Chow/Terrier/ _?_ RESCUE Mix. The best dog I have ever had.
Her appetite has been great, struggles a bit with pee and poop, just started this 2 days ago.
What should I do? What would you do? I'll appreciate any answers. Thank you. Char.
675347 tn?1365464245
First of all, she is not just a dog. She is your friend, companion, closest family member probably? and a beloved little Soul you have spent the best part of 15 years with.
This story of yours is almost identical to what happened to me about 10 years ago. I took my dog in for x-rays on a tumor on his prostate/bladder. Apart from a couple of intermittent symptoms (not too bad) he was full of life and energy, enjoying himself immensely. For the x-ray, he had to have anesthetic. The vet told me the tumor was inoperable, and said "Shall I wake him up?"
I think that is the usual thing for them to say. Even though it is SO insensitive and quite shocking. Some people simply do not want to either pay for, or suffer through, continuing treatments and worry, and would rather their dogs go immediately, having known nothing about it.So the vet has to give that option. But of course they should be a bit more sensitive about the way they say it.
In my case, I said to wake him up. I knew he was not finished, was not suffering at that point, neither myself nor my dog were quite ready for euthanasia.
I believe you have to be ready. Your whole mind, and heart has to be at that point where you KNOW you want to do that. Yet at the same time you do not want your dog to be in terrible pain, or to suffer. It's a very fine balancing-act. But in my experience, during the remainder of the time you have left with your dog, you become so tuned-in to that dog's needs, even more acutely than ever before, and  sense every change, every need, every sign your dog is giving you.
Those last few weeks, months, -days even -become very sacred and precious, and prepare you for the passing over of your friend.

It is perfectly OK to obtain another prescription for the medicine your dog needs. But be aware of the pain level. Many dogs are very stoical about pain. They will endure it to the last, so you will have to be careful. However, it is your choice and your right to get more medicine, especially if your dog is still enjoying life.
The signs when they come, will be unmistakeable. The dog may be suddenly unable to pee, she may just lay down and not want to walk at all, she may refuse food, she may shiver. At that point the pain has got bad. If medicines at that point don't help, then I think the time has come, and you will have to be brave, and give your dog freedom to go, and respect for her dignity.
At that point I think although it will be heart-wrenching, you will indeed be ready. You will make the right choice when the time is right.
God bless you, and your dog.
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child